No announcement yet.

Who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loved the buried Tardis. Shades of Steven King and Dolores Claiborne in terms of buried memories and Maine lighthouses.

Glad that the Master survived, because that rotten corpse in Deadly Assassin is what made my ass a fan.

The Fam's time has utterly run out. Here the Doc has one of the greatest scenes at the end about how she's up against the worst villain she has no idea she's up against, and we get the worst pep talk this side of a 7th division side about to get relegated after being down 6-0 at the half.

Comment

Well, 6 episodes into the new series and the preachiness continues. This time it's about plastics.

This episode highlights a huge flaw in the whole Doctor Who theory that has bugged me for a while. The Doctor is able to intervene and rescue a chap just at the moment his spaceship is about to explode. But what about all the other poor buggers who've died in this episode, like the chap on the beach? Oh, she doesn't care about them.

Surely though, if you had that power to save people and didn't, that would make you a monster. And arbitrarily saving one person and not another isn't heroic.

Comment

Yeah, I thought the guy who was killed by the birds on the beach was just passed over, nobody even noticed he was missing, or seemed to care.

Comment

Indeed, if Peter Capaldi lived 4 or 6 billion years in that castle episode, I'm certain the Doctor would have enough time to save every single organism suffering an untimely death.

It is getting to the point where another 10-15 year hiatus wouldn't be a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
            Well, 6 episodes into the new series and the preachiness continues. This time it's about plastics.

This episode highlights a huge flaw in the whole Doctor Who theory that has bugged me for a while. The Doctor is able to intervene and rescue a chap just at the moment his spaceship is about to explode. But what about all the other poor buggers who've died in this episode, like the chap on the beach? Oh, she doesn't care about them.

Surely though, if you had that power to save people and didn't, that would make you a monster. And arbitrarily saving one person and not another isn't heroic.
            Assuming the Doctor is unable to change events in her own timeline (and ignoring episodes in the lore where the Doctor has broken that rule), then the blogger in Peru and the submariner in Madagascar could not be saved as the events of their deaths were steps in understanding of how to cure the outbreak – so I'm comfortable why they couldn't be saved.

But yeah, the preachiness is being laid on a bit thick, at least it wasn't as thick as the episode on the desolate earth, but subtlety is not something that the writers appear to be going for this season.

Comment

Yeah Peru vlogger and submarine crewman contribute to the plot. It was the guy on the beach. Unless he was actually an alien researching a cure too, but that wasn't made clear.

There's also the "lots of people die but at then end of the episode the survivors are all happy" trope. The other vlogger has lost her travel partner and bestie but then, you know, she's going to hang out with the astronaut and his hubby and everything is a-ok. Grief doesn't happen in the Whoniverse.

Comment

Just caught up on these. Okay then, just who is Ruth the Doctor? Are they just going to leave it at that or are we going to see her again?

Comment

Who knows, but I can't imagine they went to the bother of introducing her to just dump the character, I just hope she doesn't become another River Song, fuck off sweetie!

Comment

Man, that was disappointing. There were quite a few good, interesting and/or effective ideas in that. But there was just too much. Too many little stories and nothing got enough time or weight. And what was the point of Syria? I mean really. And why 14th century? I'd love to see an episode set in post-Ilkhanate pre-ottoman Syria (or before then) but that's not what this was. It was all so the Doctor could have a line about how there was mental healthcare in 14th Century Islamic lands. Think of all the money spent on that CGI cityscape for no reason. The dialogue was bloody awful.

It's really not enough to say these people are gods with godlike powers if they are just going to be monster of the week.

Christ, what a waste.

Edit: Hey, wait a minute. Does that mean that he was only affecting people with mental health issues? Or he was the cause of mental health issues? Or was it just a coincidence?

Comment

"Oh it's mental health week" - Mrs Thistle

I thought that it was the best episode of this series so far. But again, really preachy and over-labouring the moral.

Beginning to think the Tories were thinking of this show when they complained about license fees funding woke kids TV.

Comment

Just watched the latest episode and also think that it was the best episode of the season so far. Decent villains and actually gave all three companions distinct things to develop their personalities. All too often I've felt these companions have been treated as almost interchangeable, so that was a nice development. The doctor's response to Graham at the end (about needing a minute to find an appropriate reply due to social awkwardness) is pretty much my lived experience, although I tend to work to longer timescales than that...

I thought the preachiness was a little subtler this time round, however I did get distracted by my tablet at one point, so I could have missed the worst bit.

Comment

Proper episode tonight. Creepy as anything, about 30 seconds of preachiness, some humour. Highlight of the series so far.

Comment

Agreed, this season is improving as it goes along.

Comment

Ooh. Proper square-headed Cybermen tonight.

Comment

Hmmm.

Lots of stuff happened. Is the Master a reliable narrator? The Ireland stuff was just a metaphor? And it was happening in the doctor's head last week but we weren't told?

I didn't enjoy watching it. I think I'm going to have more issues with it the more I think about it.

Was that the series finale?

It's nice that poc are appearing more but speaking roles tend to be whiter.

The Master is good. I like him.

Comment

I didn't understand a bloody thing about last night's. Up to and including the Master saying he'd killed all the Time Lords but then realised he could put their bodies in cybermen to be an indestructible army that couldn't be killed as the cyber time lords would just regenerate. So why didn't the actual time lords regenerate when he killed them in the first place?

Comment

I'm glad it's not just me, I have hearing loss and can't understand a bloody word when actors do that intense whispering thing and....
                                    SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

Why didn't the Master get the Cybermen to shoot the old guy at the end before he could blow them up, I know he did eventually but before that, he let him rabbit on to the Doctor to his hearts content.

Comment

Overall, I found this finale to be quite good, the bits with the humans were fine and I really enjoyed the story of the Doctor's origin, albeit they've left a big get-out in that the whole thing could be lies of the Master.

In fact, all of my issues with this episode surround the Master.
                                      The whole plot of the Master killing all of the time-lords is problematic from the start, despite all the Master's talk, it feels unlikely that he would be able to actually successfully pull the wool over the eyes of the time-lords in order to be able to put all their bodies in such a state that they don't regenerate but are still alive enough to be Cybernised. I also struggle to see how they can regenerate in the Cyber armour, but not regenerate the body parts that get suppressed by the process – it would have been much more interesting if that had happened as the flaw in the Master plan, rather than the flaw of 'convenient death particle gets released'.

I'm not a big fan of this incarnation of the Master, the one thing I do like about the characterisation is the seeming death wish he has and desire for the Doctor to bring herself down to his level. But overall, the character is being written/played too hammily, I can never invest in a villain that just seems to want destruction for destruction's sake. Also, I miss Missy.

Comment

Watched it a week late. Wow that was tedious. Too much narration and it just seemed to go on and on.

I liked the final end scene though.

Comment

In terms of Doctor Who Bingo though we did have the classic 'Doctor needs to sacrifice doctorself but can't push/pull/flip the trigger, but fortunately another character decides to do it for him/her'

Comment

Watched Tomb Of The Cybermen with my hostel pal at the weekend. It's pretty interesting watching old Who with a young person who never saw it, but loves new Who.

[Toberman comes on]
                                            Me: Um, I apologise for the casual racism in this programme
                                            Pal: Oh, I don't really notice that stuff.
                                            [A couple of minutes of Toberman and his boss later]
                                            Pal: Yes, I see what you mean.
                                            [Victoria has one of her bits where she meekly does what the men tell her]
                                            Me: I apologise for the casual sexism in this programme

It's the sexism that really jars her. She liked Liz Shaw, but Jo Grant and Victoria were something of a shock to someone used to the 21st century TARDIS crew.

Anyway, we enjoyed it - the story may be a bit of a mess, but that set design, fucking hell! The set pieces of Cybermen waking up in their tombs are enough on their own to make this worth watching. And did they ever sound better?

Toberman's death is so unnecessary. We looked up the actor (Roy Stewart) afterwards and it sounds like he had a pretty interesting life, running a gym, restaurant and nightclubs as well as making his way as a black actor from the '50s through to the '80s (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Stewart).

Comment

The scene with the Doctor and Victoria as they discuss the memory of their families is one of the most wonderful moments in the whole of old-fashioned Doctor Who.

Comment

So, at a loose end last night I decided to revisit the Peter Capaldi episodes that I skipped. I watched Dark Water. Wow, that was so much better than anything in the last two series. The shape of the cut outs in the door. The reveal of the "exoskeletons". I now can't help but feel that the most recent season's conclusion was even worse for linking the Master to the Cybermen again.

Comment

So a season run down

Episodes 1 & 2 - evil Lenny Henry / Master, sets up the story arc. Sort of OK but the whole 'evil social media genius' felt lifted from somewhere else
                                                  Ep 3 - "YOU BLEW IT ALL UP YOU MANIACS" and now Earth is a planet full of monsters trying to break into a spa!!
                                                  Ep 4 - Nikola Tesla and more cringe preachiness about what a great overlooked genius he was.
                                                  Ep 5 - Mystery Doctor hiding out in Gloucester and Judoon! Probably the high point of the series. Also random Captain Jack appearance.
                                                  Ep 6 - Plastics are bad, folks! Haven't you seen Blue Planet? Here, let me preach at you for 5 minutes.
                                                  Ep 7 - Mental Health is really important, folks. If only our health services were more like Aleppo 800 years ago. Oh and some nasty evil godlike beings. But really it's the mental health. Trowel on the message.
                                                  Ep 8 - Cyberman inspires Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley in an episode that was genuinely creepy. Thankfully the preaching was muted for this one. Phew.
                                                  Ep 9 and 10 - the second two of the 3 part ending. A lot of set up for not much else. Borrowed the Star Trek Next Generation trick of tell don't show. Episode 10 could have been a podcast considering it was all talking. And the big reveal about the Doctor was desperately dull. Plus, yet again, when the Doctor is found wanting a random guest star will step in and sacrifice themselves. Like that doesn't happen every. Single. Time.

In total, 2 decent episodes (5 and 8) and the rest was garbage really.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/emmafreud/status/1243988210130141189?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                                                    X