Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who?

King Mob, what were you thinking? Almost as integral as Paul O'Grady's dog
    Know what? Not bothered. Dawkins' serious analysis of events, followed by O'Grady's inane witticism and Ianto's laughter, provided a fine comic moment.

RTD, who could easily have kept the last change underwraps, but decided to announce it after the first Ecclestone episode
    Now you know I and know that the circumstances of Ecclestone's departure were considerably more convoluted than that.

Comment

Who?

I had some reservations as it continued. It seemed to go full-blown comic strip along the way. Well, it is comic strip in essence but I feared it would disappear up its own arse with its wide-eyed wow factor, but it became hugely-enjoyable, pacey stuff. I could have potentially gritted my teeth as it incorporated the other various Who spin-off characters, but, happily, the effect was brisk, painless and likeable. And yes, it was a ball-buster of an ending.

I bet he doesn't regenerate into someone else next week and remains Tennanty. A peek at the capsule story summary of next week's episode in today's IoS telly supplement doesn't mention any regeneration.

Comment

Who?

Taylor wrote:
        Yeah, next week's episode looks like an RTD version of that old fan fiction you used to get, where the first, second and seventh Doctors team up with Jamie, Dodo, Leela and Ian Chesterton to fight the Daleks, Yeti, Cybermen, Silurians, and The Meddling Monk.
        Just found out that they recorded voice parts for the Slitheen during the Shadow Proclamation part, but they had to cut them dur to time constraints. (Not that the Judoon played an important part either). And (apparently), we've still got Mickey and Jackie (at least) to come next week.

Which will give us five Smiths (The Doctor/John, Sarah Jane, Mickey, Luke and Mr) and at least four Jones (Martha, Ianto, Harriet and Francine), depending on how many more of Martha's family turn up.

King Mob wrote:
        Know what? Not bothered. Dawkins' serious analysis of events, followed by O'Grady's inane witticism and Ianto's laughter, provided a fine comic moment.
        To be fair, that was one of a few great one-liners.

Battylad wrote:
        managed to avoid the frustrating bit at the end that always shows next weeks show
        There wasn't one - not even at the end of the credits.

Comment

Who?

Well, RTD obviously intends to go out with a bang. I loved bits of that: I'm a sucker for the Doctor/Rose story, for a start, and the cliffhanger was indeed a corker, and I'm intrigued about what Donna's fate is, and it was great to see old Davva again. But news from around the world again, and the use of a monument as a transmitter, and the "Yes ma'am" salutes, and "Ladies and Gennulmen, we are at war". Hmm. Flawed.

The kids loved it all, I'm bound to say.

Comment

Who?

from outpost gallifrey:
            Episode Twelve of Series Four, The Stolen Earth has received a record breaking Audience Appreciation figure of 91. This is not only the highest score the programme has ever received, but is one of the highest figures ever achieved for a mainstream television programme.

Sunday's football was the most watched programme of the week making Saturday's Doctor Who the 8th in the list. This position may rise when corrected figures, including numbers for those recording the programme, are released by BARB in 9 days' time.
            Whatever way you slice it, that is astonishing.

Comment

Who?

Didn't think much of it overall - the Daleks again; a modern-day earth invasion again; far too many characters and events packed in, meaning little time for any actual atmosphere to build up; all just felt rushed and like we'd seen much of it before. Positives: proper return of Rose, good ending.

I tend to like the more atmospheric and/or claustrophobic storylines though.

Comment

Who?

Here's a chin-rubber.

From imdb:

Carlyle To Replace Dr. Who Tennant?
                30 June 2008 6:30 PM, PDT

Trainspotting star Robert Carlyle is in talks to take over from David Tennant as TV time traveller Dr. Who.

Tennant is rumoured to be leaving the cult BBC TV show at the end of the current series in 2009 and speculation about his replacement is pointing to fellow Scot Carlyle.

Although Tennant has refused to confirm whether he will be quitting his role as the Time Lord, tough guy Carlyle hasn't ruled out stepping into his place.

He says, "Would I do it? Possibly."

Comment

Who?

From rofl:

Carlisle To Replace Dr. Who Tennant?
                  30 June 2008 6:30 PM, PDT

Northern city Carlisle is in talks to take over from David Tennant as TV time traveller Dr. Who.

Tennant is rumoured to be leaving the cult BBC TV show at the end of the current series in 2009 and speculation about his replacement is pointing to Cumbrian shithole Carlisle.

Although Tennant has refused to confirm whether he will be quitting his role as the Time Lord, tough town Carlisle hasn't ruled out stepping into his place.

It said, "Would I do it? Possibly."

Comment

Who?

I think I'm going to have to agree with Jimski here. Must the Daleks appear in every series? They were used more sparingly in the old Dr Who. Peter Davison's Doctor only encountered them once.

I may have said this before but I think David Morrisey would make a good Doctor.

Comment

Who?

Surely the way out of this whole regeneration gig will be the fact that they're off-kilter by a second (which is where the planets were hidden.)

Comment

Who?

Oh and Carlyle playing the Doctor in a begbie-fashion would be fan-fucking-tastic.

"Ye think yer all that ye radge darlek tin cunt. Ye look like a ballock in a skirt, ya one-eyed poof!"

Comment

Who?

Also, your Shadow Proclamation woman said to Donna that she had something on her back. If that's still the case, it suggests that we may still be in some kind of alternative giant-cockroach-related reality.

Comment

Who?

That lassie got exterminated, and no Dalek leaves here till we find out what Dalek did it.

Comment

Who?

Juallaterpe wrote:
                              Also, your Shadow Proclamation woman said to Donna that she had something on her back. If that's still the case, it suggests that we may still be in some kind of alternative giant-cockroach-related reality.
                              I think she said that Donna had HAD something on her back, not that she still did. I'm voting for a big RTD Reset switch scenario, though.

Comment

Who?

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                                That lassie got exterminated, and no Dalek leaves here till we find out what Dalek did it.

Comment

Who?

Oh, what KC said. She seemed to me to be talking about the past. Given that she (too!) knew about Donna's demise/"loss", she could probably see all of time in an instant or something like that.

Comment

Who?

It'll only be there fleetingly, but Lawrence Miles latest blog is better than some of his recent entries. The minute 6 observation in particular is bang on the money.

http://beasthouse-lm2.blogspot.com/

Comment

Who?

Why are his blog posts only published temporarily? Is it a publicity stunt to try to make them look subversive and exciting?

Comment

Who?

Yes. He's a bit mental.

Comment

Who?

He has by and largely given up even trying to be either complimentary or constructive, hasn't he, in favour of wielding the hatchet (albeit often very incisively).

I haven't trawled through the entirety of this one yet - or last week's, which I took, for the first time, the step of downloading.

Comment

Who?

"Fisting the pterodactyl" needs to become the new "jumping the shark".

Comment

Who?

Talking about political alusions in Who last week, he made mention of the 'Soviet Zarbi' and I was incredibly tempted to change my usernames across the net to SovietZarbi.

Comment

Who?

Steven Moffat is going to have a hard time following up these emotional crescendos, isn't he. Assuming he wants to, of course - but what option has he got? As the viewing figures and AI ratings posted by Purves above demonstrate, the public absolutely laps them up, as they have done the emo-peaks throughout the new series. The big question is - can Moffat afford to leave all that behind?

Comment

Who?

I've got a horrible feeling Miles is more or less right about the regeneration. My first guess was that RTD would be so lazy as just to have him regenerate as Tennant with some crappy handwaving explanation. But this would tie up the whole who-gives-a-fuck-about-Donna-dying subplot in an archetypally annoying RTD way, so it will probably happen.

Comment

Who?

The sad part is that on this evidence, [RTD]'s not actually very good at "big": he hasn't had a new idea for an epic spectacular since 2006, but he is still capable of turning in solid, well-characterised "little" scripts.
                                                    Word.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X