Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Levin
    replied
    Both of the Cushing films are on all 4. The first one is just an abridged remake of the first Dalek serial

They are not good. They look nice, and the extra money shows but they feel wrong. Really light, lots of stuff played for broad laughs.

The music, its awful, completely at odds with what's on screen. Like Cribbins is constantly accompanied by a jaunty little swing beat.

There's no peril or menace anywhere. All the edges have been sanded off.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    Daleks' Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. is on now and in rotation on film 4.

Cushing is really made up to look old. I didn't realise Cribbins was in it.

It looks fabulous, set design and colour wise. The music seems a bit light.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    All caught up. Enjoyed The Giggle, although the "hidden image buried in TV" was done with the Silence and the moon landing. So... but Neil Patrick Harris is comedy gold and was just the sane side of ludicrous to be scary. Loved the internal logic of no good and evil just winning and losing, and being bound by the rules.

The Christmas episode was fun. I liked Ruby and her unconventional yet believable family. I agree with other posters about the musical numbers. But again we had an "alternative logic" - this time about luck and coincidence. I wonder if that's going to be Russell's trope du jour for this series.

At the end of The Giggle, a female hand picks up the Toymaster's gold tooth which he had said he imprisoned the Master in. So hopefully Mrs Flood isn't the Master but possibly she possesses the gold tooth. Maybe it is the Rani. Why not?

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    Christ, not more bloody River Song?

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Well it does point more to the "River", "Pond" thread, yes, doesn't it.

Leave a comment:

• Lymeswold Snork
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
    Is it "Mrs Flood"? I only caught it once in the episode.
    That's it. If it turns out that her first name is music-related... Carol, perhaps, since she was introduced at Christmas...

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Is it "Mrs Flood"? I only caught it once in the episode.

Leave a comment:

• Lymeswold Snork
    replied
    Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if they are keeping Anita Dobson's character, is she a hero or villain? Time will tell.
    There's some plausible speculation about her identity, based on her name.

Leave a comment:

• lambers
    replied
    I'm with Eggchaser, that episode would have been really enjoyable, but that musical number really just took it off the rails. I'm hopeful that the new doctor will be decent, but even more hopeful that such musical flights of fancy will be dropped. Quietly.

I've also caught up with the Tennant triplet. The latter two were decent stories, but they could have been done with the new doctor. Tennant just seemed shoehorned in because the writer wanted their favourite character(s) to have a happy ending.

Leave a comment:

• Eggchaser
    replied
    Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
    Thumbs up for the new doctor and assistant. I thought that the story was a bit basic, but you're introducing new characters so we'll see how it goes

Spoiler Alert

It'll be interesting to see if they are keeping Anita Dobson's character, is she a hero or villain? Time will tell.
    If it's The Master I will scream.
    If it's The Rani I will also scream, but in a good way.

Leave a comment:

• Eggchaser
    replied
    Literally the only songs including goblins I want to hear have David Bowie in them.

The Doctor seems fun, but no more fucking musical numbers, please, two episodes in a row is wilfully indulgent.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisJ
    replied
    I reckon he's going to be a great doctor. If nothing else he's seriously stylish. I've never in my life looked half as good in anything as he looks in everything. Ridiculous.

Spoiler - Goblins in a flying sailing ship - what's not to like?

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    Thumbs up for the new doctor and assistant. I thought that the story was a bit basic, but you're introducing new characters so we'll see how it goes

Spoiler Alert

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    A decent Christmas special? What weirdness is this? All the supporting characters were really well sketched out, and a lot of fun.

I'm well on board the Gatwa bandwagon. What a delight.

The retro (80s) new logo makes me think of the Finnemore Souvenir Program sketch about the boy who wants to do the TARDIS sound effect.

Edit: ugh, Murray Gold
    Last edited by Levin; 25-12-2023, 22:34.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    I quite like Wild Blue Yonder although "creatures from beyond the edge of the universe" has been done before. Just the one with Barney Stinson to watch now.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Yeah, that one was quite good.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    I just watched Starbeast and really enjoyed it. Daft and nostalgic and, yeah, probably the best Doctor Who story I've seen for bloody yonks.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    So, I’ve just given this Dr Who lark another go with Wild Blue Yonder. This is probably my fifth whack at seeing what all the fuss is about. And what amazes me most is how little of anything actually happens. It’s a lot of running about with some dialogue that goes around and around. Am I just catching particularly boring episodes? I do like David Tennant, though. He’s very David Tennant in most things he’s in.

Leave a comment:

• Eggchaser
    replied
    Originally posted by Levin View Post
    Oh and when did the TARDIS become teal?
    Something about woke!

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Funnily enough, though I love Tennant it’s only relatively recently that I’ve definitely decided/realised that Matt Smith is my favourite post-reboot Doctor. He’s Tom Baker to Tennant’s Pertwee for me.

Leave a comment:

• Jobi1
    replied
    Can't say I massively enjoyed the last of the three. It wasn't as bad as the first (although that was a pretty low bar) but certainly not as good as the second. NPH was brilliant, as he is in most things he does, but again I found the ending profoundly irritating and unnecessary. Giving Tennant yet another farewell tour to me has felt almost a little insulting to the post-reboot Doctors, like the programme makers openly stating that they know/think he's everyone's favourite.

Doubt I'll ever consider rewatching these three episodes again, which I know I would (for a third time!) the rest of the reboot era. Cannot wait for the new series.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    I've caught up with the three Tennant specials over the last week. The first was pretty poor, the second excellent and the third a very enjoyable romp. They never really did explain why Tennant's Doctor came back did they, apart from the BBC needing the publicity as a launchpad for Gatwa, who looks very promising.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    Oh and when did the TARDIS become teal?

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    I mean, it was a good enough episode. But giving Tennant another good-bye?

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    I think that you shouldn't be involved in making Doctor Who if you like it too much. You should like it, you should want to make a good TV program, but you shouldn't revere it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X