Who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who?

Miles is being a bit less bitter and a bit more constructive than sometimes.

Comment

Who?

Yes - Miles is a funny old sod, and often talks a lot of nonsense (not least because he's powered by total bitterness) but there's not that much there to disagree with. Some of those points are very, very good ones.

Comment

Who?

I didn't read the 25 suggestions, but the intro is a mix of wild speculation, and him confusing his own opinion with that of the public's. "Nobody in the "real" world would consider James Nesbitt to be a serious actor . . ." Well, yes they would, millions of people would.

His stuff about Doctor Who's ratings seems to be predicated on its ratings having drastically fallen, which they haven't.

Actually I read the first suggestion. It was as above.

Comment

Who?

Millions of people would consider Britain's Got Talent to be great television, and read the Sun, although I can understand why you'd think the intro is shite.

I'd actually agree with about 21 of the suggestions. And most of them have either been said on OTF before, or haven't despite the fact that they're really obvious.

Comment

Who?

Millions of people would consider Britain's Got Talent to be great television, and read the Sun
            Well, yeah. I'm not sure what you're driving at. He's not saying people shouldn't think James Nesbitt is a good actor (or, later, that Catherine Tate was a good companion). He's saying that they don't.

Comment

Who?

I thought the Miles article made a lot of good points too, I must say.

Comment

Who?

So, whilst on playground duty today I engaged in conversation with one of my brighter pupils, asking if she would explain some of the many things I didn't understand from Saturday night's episode. She did a sterling job. especially as she is only 7.

I'm now fully clued up as to why there were 2 David Tennants, why Donna had to have her memory wiped and why Captain Jack came back to life. He used to be the Face of Bo, you know. Face of Botox, more like.

Comment

Who?

He didn't used to be the face of Bo, he IS the face of bo. Bo is Jack many many (thousands) of years from now because he is immortal (virtually).

Comment

Who?

"Five rounds rapid!"

The first climax-comedown news filtering in is that classic series favourite Brigadier Sir Alistair Gordon "The Brigadier" Lethbridge-Stewart is to return in the next season of The Sarah Jane Adventures; which is fair enough, because, adorable old duffer that he is, Nicholas Courtney probably wouldn't hack it in the 'proper' show.

It's also likely that the Sontarans will migrate to SJA too, which doesn't come as much of a surprise given the comical fashion in which they were sent up in The Sontaran Stratagem. They've found their level.

Comment

Who?

I've not watched the programme for ages but thought I'd give the finale a go via the wonders of the BBC-iPlayer thingy, however a few minutes in I realised that, thanks to the constant obtrusive and completely overblown 'background' music, I wasn't going to be able to sit through an hour of it without getting a) very cross and b) a headache.

Is every episode blighted by this phenomenon?

Comment

Who?

Yes.

Comment

Who?

Horribly so, yes. It's got to the point where you really notice it when the music dies down a bit, only it almost never does.

Comment

Who?

Ho ho, tratorello, you don't know the half of it. Both this and the Who thread on the previous board are strewn with abuse hurled towards Murray Gold and his abysmal incidental noise. Ask ian64 what he thinks, go on.

Comment

Who?

I have to say, last episode was the first time I've really noticed how annoying the music was. And it was really, really annoying. I tend to be pretty oblivious to music in TV shows (though not films, for some reason).

Comment

Who?

To be fair it's increasingly a problem in dramas and particularly documentaries, so it's far from unique to Who. But Gold's music is cheesy muzak as well as being too loud and appearing too often.

There have been a couple of episodes where I've half-suspected that they've got Gold to drown out the dialogue on purpose to fudge RTD's sudden polarity-reversal plot resolutions.

Comment

Who?

The music was particularly bad in that final episode. The fact there were far too many emotional farewells at the end didn't help.

Comment

Who?

It's not just overblown orchestration that Gold can do, either. All of a sudden he'll throw in a real curveball, like some amateurish drum n' bass/thrash metal mash-up, that makes you wonder if he really is taking the piss.

I'm surprised 'SACK MURRAY GOLD' didn't make it onto Larry Miles' list of 'ways to improve Doctor Who'.

Comment

Who?

With the Christmas special being in Victorian times, I'm hoping for a new non-contemporary assistant partly because it will be more interesting but mainly to save us from mobile phones and constant harking back to the family, because they'll all have died of pox or TB before the assistant can worry about the ramifications of leaving them behind.

Comment

Who?

This cat watched Blink one too many times.

Comment

Who?

Come on mumpo, be all sour at him.

Comment

Who?

Got me there, Wyatt. It is hilarious, and got me watching a few "Blink" music videos (courtesy of the lovely dopes who make music videos out of Doc Who eps on youtube.)

Comment

Who?

We caught up with this series on the ABC, whilst, in our parallel universe the previous one is finishing up on Foxtel - and you lot found it confusing!!

I am not sure the bloke in our village who dressed like Tom Baker (yes, all the time) and used to pretend his wardrobe was the Tardis would have liked it, but then again if only "true" fans watched then the show would be cancelled again.

The series all seemed like good fun to me - and the 11 year old could be spotted hiding behind a cushion every now and then. That is how it should be.

Comment

Who?

What are you doing here?

'Genius' doesn't go halfway to describing this.

Comment

Who?

I'll say.

What's incredible, is seeing how the sets, costumes, staging, and camerawork has changed over the years. It's like a perfect random science experiment.

If you were to ask someone who's never seen the show, to rank the Doctors in the order of best to worst, it probably wouldn't look all that different than those who have seen all of those episodes for real. (Put it this way, it really brings out why Tom Baker is so beloved, and why Colin Baker ain't.)

It's also funny to see how much the Sylvester McCoy era's mise-en-scene isn't all that different than today's. It can almost be viewed as the seeds being planted for the current show - at least camera and set-wise.

Comment

Who?

Who will be the next Who then now David has stepped down??

Comment

Working...
                                                    X