Should we have ever banned 'Geist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know, Poltergeist was never all that scary was it? And banning horror movies just makes people find them and want to see them more. It would never work nowadays, though I suppose the outrage that surrounded the whole Irreversible movie shows how folk like to get all ripped up about stuff.

But in this day of internet downloads, would we ever have banned Geist?

Was Poltergeist actually banned? It's not on the Melon Farmers list or the Wikipedia list and I don't remember ever hearing that.

Comment

Poltergeist was never banned.

Although they apparently used real skeletons for the swimming pool scene.

Comment

It's not scary at all, but it's great, dumb-headed fun with a few good laughs (intentional and unintentional). I went to see it the first time it came out at my now defunct fleapit, and while we were waiting (we'd come early and the film was still running), an agitated and clearly uneased young woman rushed out the theatre and into the ladies' toilet. Looks on the pretense that it was a real frightener we were in for were swapped around the waiting punters.

Once in, I was grinning like a loon from start to finish. It's a hysterically-played cartoon your kids could watch. A treat if you've never clapped eyes on it before.

Comment

dglh wrote:
          You know, Poltergeist was never all that scary was it?
          Go back in time and tell that to me when I was 7, and see what kind of reaction you get. Still freaks me out.

I recently visited a cemetery in Westwood, near my work, that a lot of famous people are buried at--Marilyn Monroe, Billy Wilder, Truman Capote, etc. Right near Truman Capote's vault is the little girl from the Poltergeist movies.

Comment

Working...
          X