DVD Bargains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Bargains

Perhaps we can have a thread to alert people to any bargains that people spot?

Powell & Pressburger 9 DVD (9 films) Boxset for £9.99 from HMV. Free delivery to UK, £2.50 to Ireland.

HMV site

The 9 films are:

* A Matter Of Life & Death
    * The Red Shoes
    * The Life & Death Of Colonel Blimp
    * A Canterbury Tale
    * I Know Where I'm Going
    * 49th Parallel
    * Battle Of The River Plate
    * Ill Met by Moonlight
    * They're A Weird Mob

I don't have any connection with HMV or any other DVD company but I have ordered one boxset for myself.

DVD Bargains

DVDs seem to becoming ridiculously cheap now. Probably to compete with pirating do you think?

Comment

DVD Bargains

Nigelwyn wrote:
      DVDs seem to becoming ridiculously cheap now. Probably to compete with pirating do you think?
      I think its more to do with BluRay winning the format war.

On a side note, 'Real Genius' for $6.49 on Amazon...SOLD.

Comment

DVD Bargains

Thanks for that Nil Arshavin.

Can't really complain at that price. I remember being mesmerised by "A Canterbuty Tale" when it was shown late night on BBC 2. I'm sure the Criterion,Master of Cinema etc individual editions have cleaner transfers and better extras but when on a budget these type f box sets are a real boon.

Comment

DVD Bargains

The Criterion Collection newsletter informed me that the following Criterion DVDs are going out of print (they're actually going to Lionsgate since they bought the licensing rights to these StudioCanal films):

Alphaville
          Carlos Saura’s Flamenco Trilogy (Eclipse Series 6)
          Le corbeau
          Coup de torchon
          Diary of a Country Priest
          The Fallen Idol
          Forbidden Games (Criterion and Essential Art House editions)
          Gervaise (Essential Art House edition)
          Grand Illusion (Criterion and Essential Art House editions)
          Le jour se lève (Essential Art House edition)
          Last Holiday (Essential Art House edition)
          Mayerling (Essential Art House edition)
          The Orphic Trilogy
          Peeping Tom
          Pierrot le fou (DVD and Blu-ray editions)
          Port of Shadows
          Quai des Orfèvres
          The Small Back Room
          The Tales of Hoffmann (Criterion and Essential Art House editions)
          Trafic
          Le trou
          Variety Lights (Essential Art House edition)
          The White Sheik

Even if you aren't totally interested in these, Criterion's out of print titles become big collector's items (or have in the past at least...look at some of the prices that people pay for the Criterion editions of Hard Boiled or RoboCop). The full version of Grand Illusion is spine #1, which is sure to make it sought-after when it's out of print. That, and it's a fantastic movie.

Comment

DVD Bargains

Whenever I have time to kill when I visit London (which isn't often) I enjoy popping across from Waterloo station to the MDC by the South Bank Centre. They usually have a bunch of good stuff reduced. (Click on the 'World Cinema' link on that page to see what I mean.)

I got 'Mother and Son' from there for a fiver last year.

Comment

DVD Bargains

Every online place in Blighty is still doing the complete West Wing for a smidge under fifty pounds stirling, which is a bargain in anyone's book.

Comment

DVD Bargains

Does anyone know if "Beyond Rangoon" is available on region 2 dvd? And if so, where can I get hold of it? All I can find are region 1 dvds.

Many thanks.

Comment

DVD Bargains

Why don't you just hack your DVD player?

http://www.dvdregionhacks.com/html/regionmods/regionmods.html

Comment

DVD Bargains

(or have in the past at least...look at some of the prices that people pay for the Criterion editions of Hard Boiled or RoboCop).
                    I still have my Criterion edition of Robocop. Its the definitive version of the movie, in my opinion. I've seen people bidding $60US and upwards for it...

Comment

DVD Bargains

willie1foot wrote:
                      Why don't you just hack your DVD player?

http://www.dvdregionhacks.com/html/regionmods/regionmods.html
                      Now why didn't I think of that?! I'll give it a go and see what happens!

Comment

DVD Bargains

So how long before they start reissuing catalogues on BluRay, and I have to go out and buy the stuff I've already got all over again?

Comment

DVD Bargains

Aye, there'll soon be a thread on here called Video and DVD and BluRay like the Vinyl and Cassette and CD one in WSCMusic

Comment

DVD Bargains

I think its more to do with BluRay winning the format war
                            Nah, it's definitely downloading, legal or illegal, that's driving it. Blu-Ray's still aren't competing directly with DVDs, except at the margins. I mean, even on sale, a Blu-Ray will set you back £12-£15, which is about the most that anyone is willing to pay for a DVD these days. And new films tend to cost £25 on Blu-Ray. And if you look at the sales numbers, DVD sales are down, but Blu-Rays are way below Sony's original projections. Blu-Ray's caught in a pretty invidious position, in that it's positioning itself as high end physical media right at the moment that high quality downloadable video is both readily available (legally and otherwise) and not too slow to download. Nobody's going to buy a £25 Blu-Ray on a whim when they can just watch it over Xbox Live at the same quality for a fiver. So they're stuck with the film buff market (or rather that bit of the film buff market with scruples about piracy), which isn't all that large. Unless they bring down the price sharpish, downloads will have taken over completely by the time DVD disappears.

Comment

DVD Bargains

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                              I think its more to do with BluRay winning the format war
                              Nah, it's definitely downloading, legal or illegal, that's driving it. Blu-Ray's still aren't competing directly with DVDs, except at the margins. I mean, even on sale, a Blu-Ray will set you back £12-£15, which is about the most that anyone is willing to pay for a DVD these days. And new films tend to cost £25 on Blu-Ray. And if you look at the sales numbers, DVD sales are down, but Blu-Rays are way below Sony's original projections. Blu-Ray's caught in a pretty invidious position, in that it's positioning itself as high end physical media right at the moment that high quality downloadable video is both readily available (legally and otherwise) and not too slow to download. Nobody's going to buy a £25 Blu-Ray on a whim when they can just watch it over Xbox Live at the same quality for a fiver. So they're stuck with the film buff market (or rather that bit of the film buff market with scruples about piracy), which isn't all that large. Unless they bring down the price sharpish, downloads will have taken over completely by the time DVD disappears.
                              What he said.

Theres not much of a price difference between a brand new DVD release and a brand new Blu-Ray...

Comment

DVD Bargains

Nil Arshavin wrote:
                                Perhaps we can have a thread to alert people to any bargains that people spot?

Powell & Pressburger 9 DVD (9 films) Boxset for £9.99 from HMV. Free delivery to UK, £2.50 to Ireland.

HMV site

The 9 films are:

* A Matter Of Life & Death
                                * The Red Shoes
                                * The Life & Death Of Colonel Blimp
                                * A Canterbury Tale
                                * I Know Where I'm Going
                                * 49th Parallel
                                * Battle Of The River Plate
                                * Ill Met by Moonlight
                                * They're A Weird Mob

I don't have any connection with HMV or any other DVD company but I have ordered one boxset for myself.
                                £12.99 now, but still worth it. I watched the Powell short, 'An Airman's Letter to His Mother' on youtube this week. Wonderfully done.

Comment

DVD Bargains

I wouldn't have a clue how to download a film. You surely can't be talking about d/ling 12 different zip files from Rapidshare or similar and then doing some fiddly crap to join them up, can you? Cause there can't be many people who bother with that. Seriously, how do you do it? I bet it's not as easy as using Soulseek to steal music.

Comment

DVD Bargains

Likewise. Even I find it almost inconceivable that people download whole films. You could probably walk to a shop, buy the film, watch it and donate it to your local Oxfam in the time it would take to download it.

Comment

DVD Bargains

You surely can't be talking about d/ling 12 different zip files from Rapidshare or similar and then doing some fiddly crap to join them up, can you?
                                      No. Legally, it's just a couple of clicks via iTunes, Xbox Live or, in the US, Netflix. Illegally it's just a question of googling the torrent and downloading it.
                                      You could probably walk to a shop, buy the film, watch it and donate it to your local Oxfam in the time it would take to download it.
                                      Depends on your connection, obviously, but as long as you have reasonably fast broadband, you can stream HD films these days with minimal buffering time. Even fully downloading a 9GB HD film the other day over Xbox Live only took me a couple of hours.

Comment

DVD Bargains

Only!

Comment

DVD Bargains

Yeah, only. That's about as long as it would take me to get into central London and back, and I didn't have to get out of my chair. And, like I say, if I'd really wanted to watch it quicker I could have streamed it and started watching in a few seconds.

Comment

DVD Bargains

evilC wrote:
                                            Likewise. Even I find it almost inconceivable that people download whole films. You could probably walk to a shop, buy the film, watch it and donate it to your local Oxfam in the time it would take to download it.
                                            Seriously? It takes me about ten minutes to download a compressed DVDRip that looks perfect on a 32" TV. I reckon a 9GB file GY was talking about would take about 80-90 minutes on my connection.

My connection (20Mb) is fast by Irish standards but even on a 1-2 Mb connection it wouldn't take more than 20 minutes to download a compressed DVD if you have a rapidshare premium account.

I know this post sounds like I'm a piracy nut but I do spend about 10% of my net income on cinema related items.

Comment

DVD Bargains

I'm not sure if it would count as a bargain or not, in light of the opening post about P&P, but the John Cassavetes box set is going for £15 on Amazon at the moment. It's a beautiful thing too: nice, fonty design, booklet full of essays and so on.

I was lucky enough to see Powell & Pressburger's The Red Shoes in the cinema just before Christmas. It was just fantastic: I think Scorsese was involved with remastering it (or whatever they call sorting old film stock out) and it's almost absurdly vivid in its new state. I had no expectations, which made the extended ballet scene even more mind-blowing - it puts most psychedelic film makers to shame, really.

Comment

DVD Bargains

Which films are on the Cassevetes box, Big L?

Comment

DVD Bargains

All of them, I think: Opening Night, two versions of The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, A Woman Under the Influence, Faces, Shadows, and Die Hard 6: The Curse of Eurabia.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X