• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Damned United

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...&cs=1&nid=2562

Thoughts?

The Damned United

It may just be me, but I think it would work better as a stage play than as a film.

Comment

The Damned United

A film would have all sorts of rating problems if the script follows the book and uses the word "fuck" every fifth word.

Comment

The Damned United

There's an interview with the actor Warren Clarke in this weeks 'Time Out'

What are you reading at the moment?

Several very bad scripts. I was reading 'The Damned United' by David Pearce but got fed up and threw it away. It just became so fucking boring. When I was looking back on it, I thought, 'how much of this is new?' He seemed to have got so many of his ideas from other books. But maybe I just didn't like it because I'm a Manchester City fan.
        I guess he's talking about reading the book but it did make me wonder whether he'd been approached for some part in the TV version.

Comment

The Damned United

I expect that he'll find "The Tragedy of Svennis, Prince of Eastlands" a bit more interesting.

Comment

The Damned United

I have to admit I've picked up The Damned United to read a few times, got quickly bored, and also quite irritated with the writing style, and given up on it.

Comment

The Damned United

On a slight tangent, I started watching 'BEST' that George Best movie this morning. Oh my God. What a pile of shit. What a seeping boil on the face of football and film. I can't quite belive how badly wrong they got it all. The casting was mind-bendingly awful, picking the least charismatic, plainest looking man in the world to play Georgie Best. And that cunt out of Soldier Soldier to play Bobby Charlton.

I turned it off.

Comment

The Damned United

tratorello wrote:
                There's an interview with the actor Warren Clarke in this weeks 'Time Out'

What are you reading at the moment?

Several very bad scripts. I was reading 'The Damned United' by David Pearce but got fed up and threw it away. It just became so fucking boring. When I was looking back on it, I thought, 'how much of this is new?' He seemed to have got so many of his ideas from other books. But maybe I just didn't like it because I'm a Manchester City fan.
                Hang on, Warren Clarke was in that 'I.D.' abomination, he's developed more rarified tastes all of a sudden.

Comment

The Damned United

Jim Broadbent, Timothy Spall and Colm Meaney
                  Braodbent - Revie, Spall - Taylor?

Comment

The Damned United

Mike Yarwood - Clough.

Comment

The Damned United

will be interesting to see how they adapt it considering how much of the book is interior monologue and how much it jumps about between the derby and leeds periods.

ideally they'd do it in the style of peep show, and have it all from a raging clough's eye view as he repeatedly walks down the same fucking corridor and round the same fucking corner at elland road every day. would be cheap too

Comment

The Damned United

Weird. When I saw they were making a film of this I thought "you know who they need to get to play Clough - that bloke who played Kenneth Williams in Fantabulosa, he'd be perfect". And wouldn't you know it...

I can't wait to see this film. I loved the book and I reckon Michael Sheen's performance promises to be extraordinary.

Comment

The Damned United

South Bank Show on ITV now profiling David Peace and The Damned United.

Comment

The Damned United

Interesting enough, apart from Melvyn's perverse misreading of 'GB84' and the fact that the 2nd half petered out into 'what famous people think of football and writing'

Comment

The Damned United

Fantastic scheduling to put it against the final league MotD which had moved to Sunday for the climax to the EPL season. Good work ITV!

Comment

The Damned United

Anyone got a torrent?

Comment

The Damned United

Some scenes are being filmed at my local football ground (the theatre of dreams that is saltergate) next Wednesday. They're looking for extras but are imposing a strict 'no clipped or shaved hair' rule which effectively ends my glourious onscreen career before it has started.

Comment

The Damned United

That's a great decision by the film-makers because Saltergate has got a definite 1974 feel to it.

Comment

The Damned United

And that's a good thing, by the way.

Comment

The Damned United

Mike Yarwood - Clough.
                                        The bloke from The Grumbleweeds was much better.

Comment

The Damned United

apart from Melvyn's perverse misreading of 'GB84'
                                          How did he misread it FIGS? Didn't see the prog at the time and have just finished reading it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X