No announcement yet.

Travel Writing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im a bit surprised weve got this far without anyone mentioning In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin, which is generally held to be the book which redefined what travel writing could be (not sure I hold with that opinion, mind you).

Comment

I liked the Songlines better. Though as with much of this stuff, the utterly upper middle class snobbishness of the author kind of gets to me. I’m not sure I could read him these days.

Comment

Thinking of authors who love writing about how very dangerous the things they do are (I find it's a subgenre I have a soft spot for despite knowing I should probably be more cynical), I really enjoyed Martha Gellhorn's Travels With Myself And Another

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
          I’m a bit surprised we’ve got this far without anyone mentioning In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin, which is generally held to be the book which redefined what travel writing could be (not sure I hold with that opinion, mind you).
          Songlines is also a fascinating read.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
            I’m a bit surprised we’ve got this far without anyone mentioning In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin, which is generally held to be the book which redefined what travel writing could be (not sure I hold with that opinion, mind you).
            Yeah, I never quite thought of "In Patagonia" as highly as that either.

Comment

Originally posted by Doraemon View Post
              The roads to Sata - Alan Booth
              This is superb, really recommended to anyone interested in Japan.

Comment

Gellhorn was a very good writer.

Shame about her boyfriend.

Comment

Working...
                X