Beatles Books Old and Current

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beatles Books Old and Current

'As Time Goes By' by Derek Taylor is a gorgeous piece of writing, even if you're not a huge Beatles fan.

'Tune In' by Mark Lewisohn is definitive on The Beatles up to the end of 1962, especially impressive on putting the individuals in their historical context. Never drags, despite the massive volume of detail.

Robert Rodriguez's 'Revolver' and Steve Turner's 'Beatles '66' are both excellent on the group's "best" album and the surrounding events.

I generally avoid biographies of the individuals because they usually disappoint.

'Shout ' by Philip Norman is still my favourite, covers their whole lives and career in great detail.
    'You never give me your money ' (sorry I've forgotten the author) takes the Beatles from the Saville Row rooftop up to the present day, detailing the financial and legal highs and lows of Apple Corp, the Beatles empire and the individual members. More interesting than it sounds

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
      'Shout ' by Philip Norman is still my favourite, covers their whole lives and career in great detail.
      'You never give me your money ' (sorry I've forgotten the author) takes the Beatles from the Saville Row rooftop up to the present day, detailing the financial and legal highs and lows of Apple Corp, the Beatles empire and the individual members. More interesting than it sounds
      Peter Doggett is the author.

An earlier and very good book on the events surrounding the backend days of the fab four is Apple to the Core by Peter McCabe and Robert D. Schonfeld.

Comment

Peter Brown's The Love You Make might be my favourite Beatles book. It is a bit unkind to our heroes, and revels a bit in the more salacious side of their lives. It might also incorporate some embellishments. But it's not a hagiography. And Paul burnt it in anger, which is as good a review as you'll ever want.

I have a gorgeous book called The Illustrated Life of John Lennon by James Henke, with faithful reproductions of artefacts of Lennon's life and Beatles memoribilia (ticket stub to the Ed Sullivan Show, handwritten lyrics, that kind of stuff). It is beautifully curated, and I regard it as a treasure on my bookshelf, even if I have never read the text of the book itself.

Comment

Working...
        X