When Saturday Comes
    Viz
    Groundtastic
    Private Eye

My cancelled subscriptions:

Empire
    Sight and Sound
    Shoot!

That's a rather thin list. I used to buy loads but I hate giving money to WH Smiths so very rarely pick up anything random. What am I missing? Although the list above is pretty short it should give a good idea of the sort of things I would probably enjoy..

I subscribe to Viz, and Private Eye, and very much enjoy/am stimulated by, London Review of Books.

Comment

Only WSC and The Blizzard at this point (the latter not really a magazine but still only one of two subs)

I had also subscribed to Champions for years but let that go once they changed the format to coincide with the matchdays. I don't even know if this one still exists since I don't bother looking when I'm at my local newsstand. And Mojo was another sub for years but I let that one go about two years back since I was always way behind. I still have some issues from 2010 in my office that I haven't been able to get to.

I'm on the fence about keeping WSC because of the same problem: I have only read about 3 of the issues from the last 12 months and the rest are piled up on a shelf.

Comment

Just WSC for me. Mrs of the Shed has Total Film which I always have a peruse through, and I am ashamed to say that she also buys the National Enquirer. I tell her that it is just the same shit every week with a different cover on the front and complete and utter tat, and she tends to agree, but still buys it anyway.

Comment

WSC is my only subscription unless you count PASS, the quarterly magazine that comes with membership of the club for people who've been on Mastermind. (yes I know).
          I also buy Radio Times every week and occasionally Mojo if I fancy the CD. I've stopped trying to read Mojo from cover to cover for the same reasons as Danielmak and now just browse through it if I get it.
          I get sent magazines from my Union and The Open University which I likewise just browse . I stopped buying a newspaper regularly years ago and just occasionally get The Guardian or The Observer at the weekend or for a long
          train journey.
          Last edited by wittoner; 16-10-2018, 14:51.

Comment

WSC and Esquire for me, the latter a hangover from the days when I was in the menswear trade and the fact that its only about Ł6 for 10 issues. Mrs 7610 suggests its because I like looking at pictures of pretty boys, but she says it like that's a bad thing.

Comment

WSC (in a roundabout way) and The Nightwatchman for me. The latter is really starting to pile up unfortunately –*although I have great affection for it it never seems to be the right time to read. I had to cancel the LRB because I just wasn't getting through them frequently enough.

Comment

Even after paring the list down, I still get a lot of magazines.

WSC
                The Blizzard
                Howler
                The New Yorker
                The Atlantic
                The Economist
                NYRB
                LRB
                Cooks' Illustrated
                Foreign Affairs

And a host of others from organisations with which I have an affiliation. Everything from alumni magazines to Opera News to the Baseball Research Journal to SPLC Hatewatch
                Last edited by ursus arctos; 16-10-2018, 12:59.

Comment

WSC on subscription.
                  Private Eye each fortnight. I used to subscribe which I'd not usually see until Thursdays, but when I was working in the City, I could pick up a copy on Tuesday afternoon, so I dropped the subscription.

Comment

The New Yorker
                    Howler
                    Jacobin
                    In These Times
                    Bicycling
                    Bon Appetit

(the last 3 coming from a magazine drive for my daughter's Girl Scout troop)

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                      I subscribe to Viz, and Private Eye, and very much enjoy/am stimulated by, London Review of Books.
                      Well there you go, London Review of Books is going to be sending me every fortnight now, not sure if it clashes with (or complements) Private Eye's schedule

Ironically I'm out of the book habit at the moment but there are whole other threads for when I want to start plugging that gap

Comment

I've sort of been out of the book habit for a while too, LRB plugs that a bit (I also like reading about films rather than seeing them...); some of the articles are way above my head, or not in my interest-sphere, but some issues/articles take me places I never thought I'd go to.

Comment

WSC
                          Private Eye
                          Literary Review

Let Blizzard lapse after credit card expiry date wasnt recognised & regret it. Done them all at one time or another over the years-most of which now defunct. Bang Ikon Total Football Hotdog Goal Loaded Arena as well as Empire Mojo New Statesman. More recent one was a musical history based on NME/MM backpages-started 1965 & got to around 1988 & even I could see that coming.

Comment

I forgot about the Howler. I subbed to that when it started, read the first issue and the second and third year are sitting on a shelf still in the plastic. Although I like to think the shelf that is holding these issues of WSC and Howler in the plastic are neatly organized, I do far that this all appears a bit hoarder-ish to just have magazines in plastic sitting on a shelf. At least the old Mojos are at work and I do make my way through them slowly when I finish a book on my commute to work. Needing something to read on the way home and maybe for the remainder of the week, I'll go with that specific issue of Mojo. The other good thing about Mojo is most of it is music for older people (big people music in reggae terms) so there is nothing timely about a Stones or MC5 story. Reading 1, 4, 8 years after publication date is no different than reading hot off the press.

Comment

Uncut, Fortean Times, SFX.

The least it's been for years, although I'm picking up Private Eye & Back Issue in the shops and get Starburst sent to me as payment for writing for them. I took The New Yorker for a while but it takes so long to read that everything else backed up.

Comment

WSC
                                Blizzard
                                Mundial
                                New in Chess
                                Vokrug sveta (Russian, thematics like NatGeo but more text and less photo)
                                Klubs (Club; Latvian men's magazine)

Comment

Does anyone still read The New Yorker regularly? They're after me to subscribe. I used to back in the 70's, but I didn't have a TV or a computer then and consumed multiple magazines regularly. I realise it's changed a fair bit since then, but exactly how, quality-wise? I'm also not sure I can do justice to a substantial weekly mag, I subscribe to both Harpers and The Atlantic, WSC of course, and buy sundry others. SoiIs it as dense as it used to be?

Comment

I do, but don't read all of every issue. I also subscribe to a silky number of publications.

It is closer to what it was in the 70s than it was under Tina Brown, but still is quite different, being less quirky and less centred on New York and high culture. It also has fewer pages per issue.

My suggestion would be to look at the website and see what you think. The line between web and print content gets fainter all the time.

Comment

Cheers. Yes, I remember the Tina Brown period. Not a good time.

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      The line between web and print content gets fainter all the time.
                                      Yeah. That's certainly an issue (heh!) I read The Atlantic online and also get the print copy (I think the subscription includes both) but it's pretty redundant from a reader's PoV. I don't like reading long articles on-line, and the New Yorker I remember would have been impossible for that reason.

Comment

My suggestion would be to look at the website and see what you think. The line between web and print content gets fainter all the time.
                                        Agreed. There are more things that I want to read that they seem to only have on the website, and less things in the print edition that I feel like I have to read.

Comment

This may be a US thing, but Condé Nast are also extremely annoying to deal with on subscriptions.

Comment

This may be a US thing, but Condé Nast are also extremely annoying to deal with on subscriptions.
                                            I did always wonder if the best way to subscribe to the New Yorker was to donate the right amount to WNYC each year.

Comment

That occured to me about a decade ago, but I have never acted on it

Comment

Try joining the editorial profession and having to renew a subscription to the Oxford Premium Dictionaries website once a year. I have the OED and New Hart's Rules on Kindle, so have escaped the need to do so, but there are several ongoing threads on the forum of the main UK professional editorial body about what a spectacular pain in the arse it is getting them to let you give them your money.

Comment

Some familiar themes in my mag habits. I currently subscribe to WSC, Private Eye and Classic Pop, all now from habit as much as anything. I subscribed to The New Yorker for about fifteen years but let it go because I couldn't shake the thought that I ought to read all of it but doing so was taking up pretty much all of my leisure reading time.

I never had that many subscriptions because I used to really enjoy reading magazines on train journeys but would always forget to take issues that had been delivered to the house. I almost never pick up sometime regular news stand purchases such as Mojo, Empire or Vanity Fair these days (or this century in the last instance).

Comment

Working...
                                                  X