No announcement yet.

Books you got for Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of Loo Books: the Private Eye annual and 52 times Britian Was A Bellend by James Felton. I hear the author of the latter is hilarious on twitter, but this seems thin gruel.

Also got a RHS Gardening Quiz book. Lots of what’s the Latin name for x type questions, which I will flunk badly. That was it this year.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
      A couple of Loo Books: the Private Eye annual and 52 times Britian Was A Bellend by James Felton. I hear the author of the latter is hilarious on twitter, but this seems thin gruel.

Also got a RHS Gardening Quiz book. Lots of what’s the Latin name for x type questions, which I will flunk badly. That was it this year.
      Ha! My brother got that gardening quiz book.

i didn't get any books but i got my mum the Lenny henry book.

Comment

I misread for a moment that you’d bought your Mum a book about Lemmy.

Comment

Now that would be quite something!

Anyway, it was a real winner. She's reading it and my dad has already read it. It only goes up to the tiswas years so I'm presuming there will be another volume.

lots of local references. Just the Saturday before Christmas i was at Dudley zoo with my son. We were having a drink in the cafe. He spotted a disco ball and i said yes, this cafe used to be a disco.

in fact, it was the spot where Lenny henry first got up on stage. He did an Elvis impersonation and won a bottle of whisky.

Comment

The Force by Don Winslow. Great reviews and the writer himself seems to be a decent person, but I'm finding it hard to like the style (lots of very short often one-sentence and sometimes one-word paragraphs). I shall persevere,

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
              THE FIVE by Hallie Rubenhold; about the Women who were victims of Jack the Ripper.

Michael Palin in North Korea

ULTRA the underworld of Italian football; by Tobias Jones

Looking forward to reading them all
              Aye, looking to get the Palin in NK one as well, will generally start appearing in charity shops around April/May I reckon.

Comment

I ended up giving more books than I received:

Eldest
                The Grade Cricketer – Sam Perry

Middle
                Start with Why – How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action

Youngest

The Secret War: Codes, Spies and Guerillas – Max Hastings
                A Military History of the Western World Vol 1 – J Fuller
                The Art of War
                Xanathar’s Guide to Everything – Wizards RPG team

Wife

The Anglo-Saxon Fenland
                The Body: A Guide for Occupants – Bill Bryson
                The Testaments – Margaret Attwood

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                  The Force by Don Winslow. Great reviews and the writer himself seems to be a decent person, but I'm finding it hard to like the style (lots of very short often one-sentence and sometimes one-word paragraphs). I shall persevere,
                  And persevere I did and it's really rather excellent

Comment

Originally posted by RobM View Post

Aye, looking to get the Palin in NK one as well, will generally start appearing in charity shops around April/May I reckon.
                    I got Ken Bruens latest thriller for my brother for Christmas, last Friday I saw it as part of a " buy two, get one free " deal.

Comment

So far, this year has brought me...

The Grieving Brain by Mary-Frances O'Connor (I've already started reading it)

The Goalkeeper's History of Britain

Totally Awesome: The Best Cartoons of the 80s - which is a nicely laid out look at things like He-Man and Thundercats. (Only includes American cartoons - no Dangermouse or Duckula.)

52 Times Football Changed the World by Gary Lineker and Ivor Baddiel. Um, yeah. Doesn't look that exciting. Its a signed copy. But even so, it may get passed on to my nephew in the New Year.

That's it so far.

Comment

From son:

Daft Wee Stories - ​​​​Limmy
                        Schiesse! - We're going up - The Unexpected rise of Berlin's rebel club - Kit Holden
                        Two Tribes - The Untold Story of Rugby League's divided year and the birth of the NRL - Steve Mascord

(the last of which being the result of a not too subtle hint)

Comment

And daughter got a signed copy of Nick Cave's book from her mother

Comment

Cerrado por fútbol by Eduardo Galeano. The back cover says it's a collection of all Galeano's football writing. On closer inspection I was relieved that it doesn't, in fact, appear to contain any of El fútol a sol y sombra (Football in Sun and Shadow), because I've already got that one in two languages and it would have been a shame for my girlfriend's dad to have wasted his money on a repackaged edition. This one seems to be a bunch of newspaper columns and a shorter book I'd not previously heard of.

Comment

Maggie O'Farrell - Hamnet : A colleague gave me this. It was a surprise, but when I opened it, I realised we'd discussed its premise quite a lot, amongst other book discussions.

Anne Bronte - Agnes Grey : From my dad. I requested this one,as the only Bronte novel I haven't yet read. The edition has got an interesting looking introduction, and a 'biographical note' written by Charlotte Bronte about Anne and Emily.

Between us, my wife and I were given Amor Towles' A Gentleman in Moscow by another friend. I hadn't heard of this before, but its premise is quite appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
                                Maggie O'Farrell - Hamnet : A colleague gave me this. It was a surprise, but when I opened it, I realised we'd discussed its premise quite a lot, amongst other book discussions.
                                Haven't read the others, but you're in for a treat with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

Haven't read the others, but you're in for a treat with this.
                                  Thanks. I'm looking forward to it. I'll post something about it when I've read it, but have to decide what order to read these things in first.

O'Farrell's debut novel, After You'd Gone, is one of my favourites of this millennium. Her second novel seemed to cover similar ground but just wasn't as good. I didn't go back to her after that, which I suspect is my loss.

Comment

I got these...for Ms F, whose birthday and Xmas get combined (27th Dec):

Fiction -
                                    Annie Ernaux The Years (she likes the Fitzcarraldo covers etc and read Man's Place last year)
                                    James Robertson 365 (short pieces)
                                    Muriel Spark Memento Mori
                                    Edward Upward short stories, as she liked the trilogy
                                    a Canongate Scottish novel by Friel - Mr Alfred M.A.

Non-fiction tbc
                                    Last edited by Felicity, I guess so; 25-12-2022, 09:50.

Comment

I've been given a book written by someone who comes on here by someone who doesn't know I come on here or that the author of the book comes on here or that this place even exists.

Comment

I've unwrapped another book off my wish list - Will Hayward's Independent Nation: Should Wales Leave the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                          I've been given a book written by someone who comes on here by someone who doesn't know I come on here or that the author of the book comes on here or that this place even exists.
                                          Music book, refereeing book or - we all hope - Grounds for Divorce?

Comment

Non-fiction:
                                            David Caute The Great Fear (inscribed by someone we know who was downsizing from a house to a flat, found in the Amnesty bookshop)
                                            Manning Marable Race, Reform and Rebellion
                                            a Bird Atlas for Northumberland
                                            Art of the 1930s
                                            a school Esperanto booklet
                                            Classic Scottish Cookery
                                            Tony Soper The Bird Table (lovely cover)

Comment

The Philosophy of Modern SongBob Dylan, from my stepdaughter, which is great because I'd been trying to resist buying it myself, now I don't have to anymore. The Lion House: The Coming of a King Christopher de Bellaigue, with an Indigo gift card from my sister. Really looking forward to this one. And the MAD Stocking Stuffer from La Signora just cos!

Comment

A few books which I suggested myself for my wife to get me:

Empire of Pain (the Sackler thing)
                                                The Decade in Tory
                                                Slaughterhouse Five

and a British travelogue my wife chose for me called "One Man and his Bike".

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it. I'll post something about it when I've read it, but have to decide what order to read these things in first.

O'Farrell's debut novel, After You'd Gone, is one of my favourites of this millennium. Her second novel seemed to cover similar ground but just wasn't as good. I didn't go back to her after that, which I suspect is my loss.
                                                  Hamnet was a book that I was given last Christmas. Having just finished a long book on cricket, I had been debating what to read next - it was a toss up between Hamnet and How to Stop Time by Matt Haig (another Christmas present from a previous year). Now, thanks to Sam and jameswba, I have my decision made.

Comment

A new biography of Charlie Murphy, the "character" who owned the Chicago Cubs baseball club in the first decade of the 20th century.

My brother found an absolutely spectacular "Ticket Agent's Atlas" from the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1905 for ursus minor.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X