No announcement yet.

Books you got for Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturnin by Zdeněk Jirotka, which was sold to me as a Czech Jeeves and Wooster where Jeeves is an Anarchist.

Comment

I forgot that I’d bought my friend’s book - his photo project of portraits across the EU celebrating free movement. It looks great. And I managed to open it as a present because I’d totally forgotten about it. I also got a book about death from my mum...

Comment

Sapiens

Comment

I still haven't got the Beastie Boys book. Admittedly, I have now mentioned it between this year and last.

Comment

'Calypso' by David Sedaris and a book about street photography.

Comment

My wife received this. I got a Flying Lotus record in return. This worked well for both parties.

Comment

I received

The Gary Lineker/Danny Baker one that accompanies the podcast
                Matt Jansen's autobiography
                Saturday 3PM - 50 eternal delights of modern football by Daniel Gray
                Love of Country - a Hebridean Journey by Madeleine Bunting
                The light in the dark - a Winter Journal by Horatio Clare
                Border - a Journey to the edge of Europe by Kapka Kassabova
                Silver Shoals - Five fish that made Britain by Charles Rangeley-Wilson

I'm not sure whether I'm strangely attracted to books which have a subtitle, or whether it's become more of a thing lately.

Comment

That Kapka Kassabova book sounds fascinating.

Comment

I think the subtitles are a real thing nowadays. Same with movie titles.

You read fast then TrL?

Comment

No. I read a lot but I also have magazine subscriptions to plough through so I'll be lucky to get through these by this time next year unless we have a beach holiday for a change.

Comment

Two cookery books - The Green Roasting Tin and The Quick Roasting Tin, both by Rukmini Iyer.

Comment

My streak described upthread was broken since we went to Vienna this Christmas and that was the gift for everyone except our daughter, who will get gifts when we return. I picked up a photobook (that borders on being a photozine) about Austrian bands that appeard in some 1980s film about Austrian punk. I don't speak any German so this is was the summary from the guy who owned the record shop.

There are a number of good street photography books that came out this year (per Tony C's listing above), none of which I purchased yet. Magnum released a book. There's a great exhibit right now at the Photographer's Gallery called Shot in Soho that has an accompanying book, which I should have purchased but spent too much money already at All Ages Records in Camden. Londoners should check out that show. And then I just went to an exhibit here in Vienna called Street.Life.Photography that also has a book that looked interesting. Too much weight in the luggage already so I skipped it. But Michael Wolf's Tokyo Compression was one of the series featured in this exhibit and I will need to chase down his book: https://www.lensculture.com/articles...yo-compression

Comment

The Kassabova book mentioned above is very good indeed (if you liked Street Without a Name, then you'll certainly enjoy it, and if you haven't read Street Without a Name, then go get that too)

Just one book here, Revenge by Yoko Ogawa. Asked for it after liking her latest book, and the first of hers that I've read, The Memory Police.

Comment

Judge Dredd Case Files 01 and 02

Comment

As requested, Poems That Make Grown Men Cry.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                  As requested, Poems That Make Grown Men Cry.
                                  Does it do what it says on the tin?

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

Does it do what it says on the tin?

I've yet to dip into it, TBH, and I'll be surprised if it softens my stony heart, but I'll let you know.

(Belated Hanukkah best wishes, BTW).

Comment

Don't Skip Out on Me, Willy Vlautin.

I've enjoyed his other books, so am hopeful about this one.

Comment

Grant Holt's autobiography. Potentially may be a good read but hoping he stays away from his political preferences.

Comment

I got the Alexis Petridis' Elton John biography, which I've heard is eye-popping stuff.

My dad also bought me Peter Crouch's book (for 50p he admitted), which is perfectly structured for toilet reading.

Comment

Talk about your nominative determinism.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                              Talk about your nominative determinism.

Ah, let me introduce you to Peter Crouch:

He's on the right.

Comment

Amongst other books, from my parents in law I got "May at 10" by contemporary historian Anthony Seldon (which is fascinating but also perhaps slightly "too soon" for me from a mental health/Brexit trauma perspective), and, from one of my daughters, a collection of essays by David Foster Wallace called "Consider the Lobster".

Anyone on here familiar with the work of DFW? My daughter read and enjoyed his long novel "Infinite Jest", but, being a bit of a cultural ignoramus, I hadn't previously heard of him. I'm intrigued by the essays, but a bit apprehensive in the light of the fact that the author ended up killing himself.

Comment

A thread.

Comment

That's great, thanks v much GO.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X