Reading books to kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading books to kids

I am spending time with my niece and nephew this week and have started reading to them before they go to bed. We did 4 chapters of George's Marvellous Medicine tonight.

What's everyone else reading to kids at the moment (or what would you recommend)?

What ages are we talking about?

Comment

Best book I've read to our 10-year old recently was The Phantom Tollbooth.

Comment

My kids used to like the Beatrix Potter books. It helped that I did too.

Comment

Walter the farting dog is a favorite.

Then any Elisha Cooper book typically gets the five year old asleep. That or currently Skippy-Jon Jones (about a Siamese cat who thinks he is a Chihuahua), which makes less sense as it is amped up but long enough for her to drift off.

The two year old had an addiction to Go! Go! Go! Stop! until it somehow got lost behind his chest of drawers.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
            Best book I've read to our 10-year old recently was The Phantom Tollbooth.
            Despite being considerably older than 10, I'd love to read that book again. As I remember it had some very clever wordplay almost as its main theme, and I'd love to rediscover it.

Comment

Oh, do. You'll absolutely love revisiting it.

*wheeeeooosh*

...Blast it. I've just jumped to Conclusions, haven't I?

Comment

Originally posted by Anton Gramscescu View Post
                What ages are we talking about?
                3 and 6. 3 yo likes the *funny voices. 6 yo likes the story.

*yes, I do funny voices

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                  Oh, do. You'll absolutely love revisiting it.

*wheeeeooosh*

...Blast it. I've just jumped to Conclusions, haven't I?
                  Aside from that one, there's some gloriously silly yet somehow entirely logical concepts throughout Tollbooth like Tock the Watch-Dog, the warring fraternal rulers of Dictionopolis and Digitopolis King Azaz the Unabridged and the Mathemagician, or short Shrift, Faintly Macabre the Wicked Which, eating your words, the Awful Dynne and the twelve-faced Dodecahedron, plus amazing set-pieces like Chroma conducting the sunrise or the Silent Valley, and some genuinely quite scary stuff like the faceless Terrible Trivium and the other demons of ignorance. Not to mention the Triple Demons of Compromise, "one tall and thin, one short and fat, and the third exactly like the other two", the inclusion of which I've only gathered quite recently was a beautifully nasty practical joke played by Norton Juster on his illustrator Jules Feiffer.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    3 and 6. 3 yo likes the *funny voices. 6 yo likes the story.
                    *yes, I do funny voices
                    At that sort of age I invariably enjoyed being read The Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner, as my dad always did a full cast of distinct voices. The lugubrious Eeyore was of course particularly funny.

Comment

What about the Mr. Men and Little Miss series?

Comment

Still on GMM at bedtime, but I also got to read the classic Toby the Tram Engine to little nephew today.

Comment

My 2 year old is loving Dr Seuss at the moment which is more than fine by me. His 6 year old sister is at that annoying age where she's obsessed with fairies and princesses. We thought we'd reached daylight recently at the end of what had seemed like an endless trawl through Rosie Banks' Secret Kingdom books ("Gosh look, a fairy glade!" exclaimed Jasmine, "Yes and there's a charming little pixie" breathed Ellie, "But oh no, there's a nasty Storm Sprite" exclaimed Trixie, "Goodness what must we do to save the Secret Kingdom?" breathed Summer) when someone got her the first Catherine the Fucking Fashion Fairy Princess book for her birthday which is exactly the same premise as the Secret Kingdom only with added accessorising.

Comment

AH - have you had to live through the Fancy Nancy books at all? They are awful. Not as bad as Pinkalicious, which is infuriating.

Comment

Is she a fairy princess? If my Nancy was to discover there are books about a Princess Nancy I don't think we'd ever get to read anything else.

Meanwhile Fashion Princess Catherine plumbed new depths tonight. No princess will be able to make a royal engagement on time again unless the ornamental slipper can be found.

Comment

Working...
                              X