Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Print Mags

Oh frabjous day! The Believer is back.

It's been my favourite mag for the past eight years or so. At the end of 2014 McSweeneys announced they were moving it to six issues a year instead of eight (a worrying sign). I received two issues in 2015, then nothing. For some time I figured it was a post office cock-up, or someone at the local Canada Post sorting office was stealing my copy. However, early this year came an announcement it was being taken over by the Black Mountain Institute at U of Nevada. Early days, but the first effort is encouraging. It's the annual Music issue and, though they've lost Greil Marcus and there's no free music sampler, the format, layout and wonderfully eclectic content are consistent with earlier years. I'm optimistic.

Anyone else have mags they've lost or gained in the past months? Also, anybody subscribe to The Paris Review? It's been around forever (well, since 1953) and seems to advertise in every magazine I've ever regularly read, but I don't think I've ever seen a copy. They're having free access to their entire back catalog with a year's subscription promo, so I'm tempted.

I have a couple of The Believer music issues from about ten years ago. I don't think I properly read either of them, or listened to the sampler CDs. I'm due a proper clean-out and a reorganisation of my office (when we moved for the US, I just shoved stuff from boxes on to shelves), so maybe I'll look them out and do them justice.

Odd that there seems to be a print revival already. Paste magazine is now producing a print issue again, four times a year, with a vinyl LP attached for each issue.

Comment

Working...
    X