Britain in the 70s and 80s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any recommendations on a good book that explains why Britain was supposedly so shit in the 70s and then why it elected Thatcher and only got worse for most people?

I think this might be what you're after.

http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/32-books/325129-when-the-lights-went-out-britain-in-the-seventies?limitstart=0

Comment

Thanks so much. What got me thinking about it was that I just listened to a two-year-old interview with Nick Hornby talking to Chris Hardwick. He was talking about the 70s three-day work weeks and how neighborhood kids had to figure out who would have power on which days to sort out their tv-watching plans.

Not sure if that was widespread.

Comment

From memory, I think it affected the whole country, but as I recall only for a couple of short spells (a few weeks each?) in, I thnk, 1973 (but not 100 per cent sure on that). No doubt the Andy Beckett book (or indeed Wikipedia) will have chapter and verse on that. I was 9 years old in 1973, and can remember my parents making sure we had a stock of candles for light during the power cuts. Vague memories of the short weeks too, I think the general feeling among most people was "woo-hoo, extra days off work/school".

Comment

I can just about remember the power cuts, in an impressionistic way. They were quite exciting.

I wonder whether that programme where a bunch of social workers went to live in an Iron Age hut for a year was popular at the time because people thought it was a glimpse into the future.

Comment

I remember the power cuts, and having candles. But I don't remember them being scheduled, and I certainly never planned when to go to a friend's house to watch TV if my house was without power - but then, it's possible that I was just too young to think of that stuff, and to know about scheduling.

Comment

In NI, we had the UDA-organised general strike just in case the 3 Day Week wasn't enough of a pain.

I was at boarding school. Fun, fun, fun (or rather spam, spam, spam). Every day for a facking month, like.

Comment

I ordered it used for a few bucks on Amazon.

From what I read, it all comes backs to inflation. The miners needed better wages to keep up with inflation, and the government wanted to suppress wages to fight inflation.

Comment

Someone on another thread mentioned reading the '80s version of this book, but I can't find it right now. And I'm not sure if it was an actual sequel or by the same author or anything.

Comment

It's by the same author and called Promised You A Miracle.

Relevant thread here...

http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/32-books/1148460-promised-you-a-miracle

Comment

Hot Pepsi wrote: Thanks so much. What got me thinking about it was that I just listened to a two-year-old interview with Nick Hornby talking to Chris Hardwick. He was talking about the 70s three-day work weeks and how neighborhood kids had to figure out who would have power on which days to sort out their tv-watching plans.

Is that the Nerdist podcast HP?

Comment

Hot Pepsi wrote: I just listened to a two-year-old interview with Nick Hornby talking to Chris Hardwick. He was talking about the 70s three-day work weeks and how neighborhood kids had to figure out who would have power on which days to sort out their tv-watching plans.
                        I remember doing that.

Comment

Gerontophile wrote:
                          Originally posted by Hot Pepsi
                          Thanks so much. What got me thinking about it was that I just listened to a two-year-old interview with Nick Hornby talking to Chris Hardwick. He was talking about the 70s three-day work weeks and how neighborhood kids had to figure out who would have power on which days to sort out their tv-watching plans.

Is that the Nerdist podcast HP?
                          Yes

Comment

One of the few I haven't yet listened to. I had a binge session before christmas of all the comedians, and that lasted for more than a month.

Comment

Comedians are usually good guests. Same experience on Maron's WTF podcast.

The worst? Musicians, by a fair margin.

Comment

Yeah, I started to listen to the Violent Femmes one but it was really dull.

The one with Mike Judge is good.

Comment

Working...
                                X