Judge Me By What I Should Have Put Down But Didn't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sarnia is fine if you like living in small refinery towns.

Toronto is only snooty if you come from here or you like to hang out among the media mavens (in which case it's unbearble). For immigrants (like me) who aren't connected to this nonsense, it's not so bad.

One of the NPS's great strengths is that people leave you alone to do your own thing. The flip side is no one speaks to their neighbours.

I always found the description of that area as having a thriving boho scene a little odd, too. In the end, most of those old gament factories got turned into office space of varying degrees of glamour (WOM is in one, I'm in another...his is significantly more upmarket than moine). The condos are being built new, as infill.

Comment

But it's a small refinery town with this sweater...

Alternatively, London's kits are pretty cool. I like green and gold. Guelph sounds attractive because I like the name "Guelph" but the Guelph Storm have dull sweaters.

Again, I think the Simpsons summed up this entire issue with that great scene where Moe creates the long tunnel from the new faux-mainstreet shopping district to his bar. A yuppie comes through the door, the long tunnel and arrives in the bar.

Yuppie: "Hey, this isn't faux dive. This is a dive."
      Moe: "You're a long way from home, yuppie-boy. I'll start a tab."

Theres some of this out where my parents live. Where they live, there are still farms and cows and stuff, but also a few of those housing developments with no sidewalks, massive lawns and long driveways.

A few years back, the township had signs up reminding people that it was still a farming community, so stop complaining that you get stuck behind a tractor on the road or that you don't like the smell of manure.

Comment

Working...
      X