Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is sad.

Comment

It is sad, though aspects of it suggests the guy was gradually 'checking out' and was determined not to be identified for whatever reasons.

It also reminds me a little of this British case, which seemed to have some worldwide interest at the time. It was solved within 14 months though :

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...neil-dovestone

Comment

A really interesting story about a thief who stole New York Giants Super Bowl rings and his approach to burglaries. Especially interesting if you generally enjoy heist stories:

Comment

I get an error message here.

Comment

Try this

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/s...l-rings-thief/

Comment

Ta

Comment

This piece is kind of wild. I would think that the COVID pandemic would have people freaking out about having kids, but I guess that's a misplaced observation. The story is about sperm donation:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/08/b...ok-groups.html

Comment

ms ursus had a similar reaction this morning

I wonder if it is a typically myopic NYT style piece

Comment

It's a piece that has me feeling conflicted about the donors. They seem like an odd bunch: some driven by ego, some drive by altruism, the piece mentions as a quick aside that some driven by a kind of kink. It's interesting that some families just don't have the money to do IV so this is a move to have a family without the bank-breaking costs that only the rich can afford.

Comment

Nathan Thrall in the LRB on liberal Zionists and annexation of the West Bank:

The premise that Israel is a democracy, maintained by Peace Now, Meretz, the editorial board of Haaretz and other critics of occupation, rests on the belief that one can separate the pre-1967 state from the rest of the territory under its control. A conceptual wall must be maintained between two regimes: (good) democratic Israel and its (bad) provisional occupation. This way of thinking is of a piece with the general liberal Zionist belief that it’s legitimate to condemn Israeli settlements – and even, for some, to boycott their products – but not to call for reducing support to the government that planned, established and maintains them. What seemed most troubling about annexation for these groups was that it would undermine their claims that the occupation is occurring somewhere outside the state and that it is temporary, a 53-year-long departure from what liberal Zionist groups like the New Israel Fund call Israel’s ‘liberal democratic founding values’.

It is not difficult to make the case that Israel’s actions in the West Bank amount to apartheid. Israelis and Palestinians in the same territory are subject to two different legal systems. They are tried in different courts, one military, one civilian, for the same crime committed on the same street. Jews in the West Bank, both Israeli citizens and non-citizens who are eligible as Jews to immigrate, enjoy most of the same rights and protections as Israelis in the rest of the country. Palestinians are subject to military rule and are denied freedom of expression, freedom of assembly, freedom of movement and even the right not to be detained indefinitely without trial. The discrimination is not just national – by Israelis against Palestinians who lack citizenship – but ethnic, by Jews against Palestinian subjects and citizens alike. While Jews in the West Bank, citizens or not, are tried in Israeli civil courts, Israeli citizens who are Palestinian can be sent to military courts. A 2014 report by the Association for Civil Rights in Israel, the largest and oldest human rights group in the country, noted that ‘since the 1980s, all Israeli citizens brought to trial before the military courts were Arab citizens or residents of Israel ... no judgment was found in which the request of an Arab citizen to transfer his case from a military court to a court in Israel was accepted.’

Comment

An interesting piece about a real-life Indiana Jones:

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...nes-in-indiana

Comment

Queer realities: how our identities are used in politics and under capitalism at the Sheffield Political Economy Research Institute. I should add that the author has been previously referred to on this board as impette1, but I still think it's an excellent piece.

Comment

An interesting article about the bank robbery that became the Dog Day Afternoon film. This article focuses on the FBI detective who killed one of the robbers and contextualizes the robbery within a broader proliferation of plane hijackings and bank robberies.

https://www.city-journal.org/the-deacon-and-the-dog

Comment

Working...
                            X