Filling the Euro 2016 authorial gaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thankfully, most nations to have qualified have translated works readily available in local libraries, with only Croatia (Andric), Poland (Milosz) and Romania (Müller) requiring recourse to Amazon. That said, there must be more contemporary Welsh writers than Dylan Thomas, and a more adult Swiss exemplar than Wyss of Swiss Family Robinson fame. I suspect though, even the most completist bibliophile will fall at the formidable hurdles of Slovakia and Ukraine, but that's without reckoning on the OTF hive-mind!

It's an outrage if your library doesn't have Andric's Bridge Over The Drina. More pertinently, he was from what is now Bosnia.

Comment

Kadare for Albania and Laxness for Iceland are your obvious choices there, if you're going for top quality writing.

I'm surprised that none of the huge number of writers from the "Russian" canon seem to have been born in Kiev.

Comment

True, but like Kafka for Austria, sometimes you've got to play slightly loose with ethnicity and nationality.

Comment

San Bernardhinault wrote: Kadare for Albania and Laxness for Iceland are your obvious choices there, if you're going for top quality writing.

I'm surprised that none of the huge number of writers from the "Russian" canon seem to have been born in Kiev.
          It seems Gogol is the best option.

Comment

Although 2015 Nobel Laureate Svetlana Alexievich holds Belarussian citizenship and writes in Russian, she was born in the Ukrainian SSR to an ethnic Ukrainian mother.

Comment

Ah yes, Hesse - have read The Glass Bead Game, so another country down.

Comment

Working...
              X