Read it again, stupid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read it again, stupid.

Has anyone read a book way too early in life when they were way too ignorant of the subject matter? I am sure there are loads for me but the one that sticks in my mind is "Holidays in Hell" by P.J. O'Rourke. I read it about 20 plus years ago and it is actually one of my favourite books but I didn't know so much about many of the countries in there. South African and Ireland, I was fine with obviously but Korea, Lebanon, Salvador etc. I didn't have any clue about. As I say, enjoyable reading but, at that point, I could have stood on a stool and a lot of it would have gone over my head. I must read it again but I can't find my copy.

Read it again, stupid.

I read some of George Orwell's books as a teenager and I probably missed a lot in them. I wanted to read them to say I'd read them, which is totally the wrong attitude. But hey, I was a teenager.

Comment

Read it again, stupid.

Luckily I didn't read any Orwell until later on in life apart from "Animal Farm" which my politically naive younger self could handle.

..and thank you for saving me from a zero thread. It's really risky starting something down here in "Books"

Comment

Read it again, stupid.

I didn't get into Pride and Prejudice at all when I was a teenager, but I barely even tried. Love it now.

1066 And All That, I read in my early teens, my late teens, as a history undergad and as a history postgrad and got more of the jokes each time.

Comment

Read it again, stupid.

I re-read Back in the Jug Agane as a grown up and got a lot more jokes.

Comment

Read it again, stupid.

Wiseblood by Flannery O'Connor. Baffled me at 18

Comment

Working...
            X