Goodbye Zero, Hello Repeater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zero Books, founded by the wonderful cultural theorist Mark Fisher*, have left their publishers and formed another company, Repeater Books.

Story here.

http://thequietus.com/articles/16815-zero-books-staff-start-repeater-books

* Ghosts of my Life and Capital Realism are brilliant works.

Publishers of at least one OTFer's work, as it so happens.

Comment

I wonder if the new company will get a proof-reader - my copy of Wingco's book on avant-garde music was riddled with typos and other small errors.

Comment

imp wrote: I wonder if the new company will get a proof-reader - my copy of Wingco's book on avant-garde music was riddled with typos and other small errors.
        He's got sausages for fingers, that man.

Comment

Yeah, Fear of Music was pretty bad for that. As I've read other zero books since that didn't have the same issues, I'd charitably put it down to teething troubles, as I think wingco's was the first book they published.

Comment

I haven't found any errors in the Fisher books.

Comment

I wonder if the new company will get a proof-reader - my copy of Wingco's book on avant-garde music was riddled with typos and other small errors.
              Avant garde in subject matter AND form, man- the time had come to smash bourgeois grammar

Comment

That's right, which is why Prefuse 73 was drafted in as sub in the early days.

The full story here: http://www.3ammagazine.com/3am/why-we-quit-tariq-goddard-on-leaving-zero-books/

Comment

I'm a bit confused, Zero seems to be alive and well and publishing some fine books:

http://www.zero-books.net/recently-published.html

Of these, I'm ordering Rebel Rebel straight away, others will have to wait.

Elaine Graham-Leigh's book on diet, austerity and climate change looks very interesting; I've seen some of her work on this.

Comment

I believe they're publishing ones that were contracted under Zero as Zero; new commissions are under Repeater.

Rebel Rebel should be amazing

Comment

MsD wrote: I'm a bit confused, Zero seems to be alive and well and publishing some fine books:

http://www.zero-books.net/recently-published.html

Of these, I'm ordering Rebel Rebel straight away, others will have to wait.
                      I've got a few books I'm grimly working my way through at the moment but after that there are several zero books I mean to buy. I meant to alert you to the Bowie one but make sure you let us know if it is worth buying. If not I'll just borrow yours.

Comment

My mate is reading it and loving it. I have a work deadline in mid September so can't give it my full attention until then.

Comment

My Rebel Rebel has just arrived. I immediately turned to the pages about The Bewlay Brothers, which are very insightful, spot on I would say.

The rest will have to wait until after my work deadline (15 September).

Comment

And now, Mark Fisher has left the building.

Plagued by depression, he has taken his own life at the age of 48, and leaves a wife and a son who both adored him.

Ghosts of my Life is a fantastic book.

Comment

Just absolutely dreadful news. I always enjoyed his writing. He was the nearest to a critical theorist in the Frankfurt School tradition that the UK had until now, his work encompassed so many different areas.

His writing on the relationship between depression and capitalism in the early 21st century is essential (and will become increasingly more relevant) and built upon Erich Fromm's mid 20th Century opus "The Sane Society". His music analyses were always great as well. Deep condolences to his wife and young son.

Comment

Very touching obit by Diggedy Derek of this parish (and indeed this thread) on FB

Comment

Thanks ad hoc. His death has been a brutal shock to all of us.

Since we are on OTF, it seems only appropriate to mention what a wonderful talker and thinker he was on football. Here he is writing on Brian Clough, David Peace's book, and Mark E Smith. http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/010412.html

After Mark left The Wire, where he worked for a year on maternity cover, I bought us tickets to go and see Reading versus Notts Forest at the Madejski. I can't even remember the result, I think a draw, but the drab midweek fare at an out of town stadium in a provincial town seemed a world away from the epic psychodrama he channelled in his writings on his beloved Forest. RIP Mark.

Comment

That's a nice memory.

I went to a Writers Resist meeting today (a response to Trump), and the first half hour was given over to tributes to Mark, and his name came up again in the Q&A.

So many people say how generous and supportive he was. Capitalist Realism was also mentioned as a key text in the repositioning work that is ahead of us.

Comment

Wingco's obituary on The Quietus - a handsome and poignant tribute.

Comment

Fund for Mark's wife and son.

https://www.youcaring.com/markfisherswifeandson-737423

Comment

I only heard about Mark Fisher after his death, which is a little embarrassing as he lived in Brockley and lectured at Goldsmiths.

But his piece on capitalism and mental health and the concept of hauntology is truly astounding work. I was riffing on the appeal of Trainspotting 2 with a friend last night, along with talking about Fisher, and I had no idea he had already applied a term and framework to what I was talking about.

Comment

Transcript from his memorial

Comment

I hadn't heard of him before, but now I'm very interested.

Comment

Working...
                                              X