Publishers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Publishers

Say I've had a good idea (or what I at least think is a good idea!) for a football-based book. Does anyone have any suggestions for publishers to contact who might be at least prepared to listen to someone who has had a few magazine articles published, but who has not previously written a book?

Publishers

The chances of getting a publishing deal without an agent are very small.

Track down the agents who deal in football or sports books. Find out their guidelines for submissions (which should be online) and follow them exactly. Good luck.

Or self-publish.

Comment

Publishers

What Stumpy said.

Word for word.

Good luck from me as well.

Comment

Publishers

Just to add my two-penneth:

Approach an agent with a pretty solid foundation for your book idea: an overview of how you see it panning out; a completed chapter or three (pref double-spaced); photos perhaps.

But I'm sure you've done all that. Try and snare a decent agent and best of luck with it all.

Comment

Publishers

And if you’ve got an agent, pester them if they don’t contact you when they said they would. The two or three that I know (although they’re no friends of mine) are among the laziest so-and-sos I’ve ever met.

I wrote a book of short stories once. Nobody was interested in them, so I ended up self-publishing. One single copy, which I gave to The Lady I Walked To The Registry Office With. I’m not entirely sure whether she’s read it.

And good luck from me as well.

Comment

Publishers

Thanks for the advice and best wishes - definitely stopped me wasting my time going straight to publishers without an agent.

Comment

Working...
            X