Undisputed Truth - Mike Tyson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A wild book in many ways. In the final section Tyson tries to fool himself and us that he's a reformed character yet the preceding chapters are a long list of misogynistic encounters with women whom he is unable to describe in anything but demeaning terms. There's no indication that he is able to feel empathy for females as human beings, with the exception of his wife and daughters.

Of course he still denies the rape, and his ghostwriter makes the strongest case he can for Tyson's innocence. The judge gets tons of abuse in the text. It's plausible that Tyson was jailed due to his race, class and reputation rather than on the merits of the evidence, but then there's the counterbalancing fact that, by his own admission, he was a violent man addicted to sex who was often unable to resist temptation. The mystery to me is why so many women found him irresistable.

Overall the book leaves a very dirty taste in the mouth, like a journey through the gutter, but it's also strangely compelling to read in a car crash kinda way.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...-to-san-diego/

Comment

I'm about two-thirds of the way through this.

It's brutally honest and his life was one of car-crash proportions, whether in the ghetto or once he's turned professional. The only stability he seems to have experienced was under Cus D'Amato (who he clearly loves); you wonder what would have happened had Cus lived a bit longer.

As for his relationships with women, I don't know. I can't imagine what it's like to have the opportunity to sleep with different women all the time. It is a stretch to imagine, given that environment, why he'd be motivated to rape someone.

Fascinating stuff though. The best biog I've read since Andre Agassi's.

Comment

Rape's not really about sex, though, is it? Power is the driving force behind it.

Comment

But the thing with Tyson was that, although his libido was undeniably high, he'd sleep with pretty much anybody. And there was an inexhaustible supply of women.

My impression was that he did this to fill an emotional hole, rather than an attempt to exercise power over women.

His only displays of power, outside the ring, seemed to be his single-minded to get revenge on everyone who'd bullied him as a child.

The description of 'violent misogynist' simplifies what was quite a complex personality.

Comment

Misogyny is a misused word, unfortunately due to its sweeping use by some radical feminists. I think Tyson lacks empathy with women but I've seen him as having malicious feelings towards them.

OTOH rape can happen in a way that's not pre-meditated: a guy can choose not to hear the word no or see the woman's distress. I can't rule that out with Tyson so I am on the fence regarding the rape. OTOH I can accept his points about how the legal system was rigged against him in that particular trial, so his actual guilt or innocence was unlikely to be objectively established in that courtroom.

Comment

Working...
            X