X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know why the caged bird's stopped singing

Maya Angelou has died.

An important writer who was almost universally admired, and one who actually enjoyed reaching out to children through appearances on shows like Sesame Street and Reading Rainbow.

RIP

Comment

I really have no opinion on her work and won't pretend too. But she was great on kids' shows and cared a lot about young people and deserves respect for that if nothing else. But I suspect she's mainly popular because Oprah loved her.

Comment

I think that belittles her somewhat. I read the first four or five autobiographies in the 80s before Oprah had enough fame to buy her first thousand dollar handbag. Although I moved in circles that contained many feminists (one of whom I am sure lent me the first book), I was not what you would call a typical reader of such works.

Anyway, a great writer and social activist and, while we are frustrated by him, I expect it meant a lot for her to live to see Obama's presidency.

Comment

I'd say that you are both right.

Angelou was an important writer well before Oprah began her television career (the book that GO's title references was published in 1969 and part of our high school syllabus in the 70s), but her current place in the American psyche (should such a thing exist) is largely due to her embrace by Oprah and Obama.

Comment

I realised, when I realised that it was Reed posting, that I may be unaware of her standing in the States in recent decades.

Comment

Working...
            X