Free Comic Book Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Comic Book Day

Went to the local comic shop on Saturday to pick up a load of comics in order to gather material to see if I can get the boy to read for pleasure. I heard a radio programme where someone suggested this, well graphic novels, as a way of getting teenage boys to read more. I remember that, while I read a lot, a graphic novel version of Macbeth got me through my O-level (along with the Polanski film)

I got a good selection actually. He isn't a superhero fan but got a couple he may enjoy. There were also some cowboy ones etc and the one which I thought may hook him in which was the history of Hip-hop in comic form.

As I was getting free stuff, I thought I would get some graphic novels as well. The problem is that the ones that I thought he would like are full of swearing, nudity and the sort of violence that even an ex-2000AD and Action reader think is too much. I mean, I know that he probably has access to as much but even I thought it would be irresponsible to add to it. I also knew that the ones I have here - V for Vendetta and Watchmen - are too adult for him.

After some genuinely helpful advice from the shop guy, I bought a manga book with the appropriate sexy girl and title - Blood Lad - that could draw him in. I also bought a gangster-ish one called "Secret" which seemed on the right side of violent with a lot of it being implied which reminded me as much of Action. I also bought "The Boxer" being a true story about a boxer that was put in the concentration camps and then moved to America. To be honest, the last one is more for me but he may pick up on the boxing element.

When he came back, I didn't mention them just left them in a pile. When he came in, it was like waiting for an animal to take the bait. He said "Oh yeah, it's comic book day" and sniffed around them with my wife and I looking on tentatively. He didn't pick any up but he did show some interest.

It struck me that there are were loads of graphic novels for me there, aside from those that have been recommended on here, but those were far too adult for the boy and the non-superhero stuff is not for him. Any suggestions gladly acce

Aside from this and back to the thread title, it was great seeing the interest in comic book day. Aside from the usual Comic Book Guy/Al the Toy Collector types, there was a lot of parents bringing their kids and, it has to be said, a load more girls than I expected. It really was a great idea
Working...
X