X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sue Townsend dies

aged 68 and 9 days.

Sue Townsend dies

Sad news. Apart from Mole, I liked the one about the Windsor family being exiled to a Council estate in Nuneaton.

Comment

Sue Townsend dies

As I no longer worry about being cool anymore, I'm happy to admit that the first Adrian Mole book is in my top-ten favourite books.

It still amazes me how accurately a female author was able to get into the head of a teenage boy. And it was one of the few books I remember being fought over in the playground.

Comment

Sue Townsend dies

Duncan Gardner wrote: Sad news. Apart from Mole, I liked the one about the Windsor family being exiled to a Council estate in Nuneaton.
        I really want to read that one actually. Lately, she had been on Radio 4 a lot and came over as very politically sound. Indeed, the Mole books are a great insight into living under Thatcherism in their way.

Comment

Sue Townsend dies

A great shame. Echo the sentiments re. Mole, or the first two books anyway. Anyone read The Cappuccino Years?

Comment

Sue Townsend dies

Stumpy Pepys wrote: As I no longer worry about being cool anymore, I'm happy to admit that the first Adrian Mole book is in my top-ten favourite books.

It still amazes me how accurately a female author was able to get into the head of a teenage boy. And it was one of the few books I remember being fought over in the playground.
            Ditto on all of that.

I always imagine adult Adrian to look like BBC reporter Nick Higham. Sue's son recently took to Twitter and retweeted a couple of things which hinted at Adrian and Pandora being together in middle age.

Comment

Sue Townsend dies

The bit where he comes home from school early, to find his father "… watching Play School, pretending to be an acorn growing into a tree," still cracks me up, nearly thirty years later.

Comment

Sue Townsend dies

Stumpy Pepys wrote: The bit where he comes home from school early, to find his father "… watching Play School, pretending to be an acorn growing into a tree," still cracks me up, nearly thirty years later.
                Ha ha. Yes, there were many, many great lines like that in the book. I never read any of the later Adrian Mole books, but have always planned to.

I wasn't keen on The Queen and I (I'm sure the fictional council estate was in Leicester, not Nuneaton), nor could I finish Number 10 (not so subtle satire, as I remember.)

As Bored says, she always came across as really ideologically sound and I'd interested to know whether her plays reflected her politics.

Comment

Sue Townsend dies

Hola, Senor. I stand corrected on the Leicester setting.

Check out an old 'living on the breadline' article by ST reproduced in the Observer today.

Comment

Sue Townsend dies

Will do, Duncan. Bought it today to read on the train to London tomorrow in fact. Hope all is well.

Comment

Sue Townsend dies

"The bit where he comes home from school early, to find his father "… watching Play School, pretending to be an acorn growing into a tree," still cracks me up, nearly thirty years later."

2 more quotes, courtesy of that Observer article:

"I was racked with sexuality but it wore off when I helped my father put manure on our rose bed."

"I have realised I have never seen a dead body or a real female nipple. This is what comes of living in a cul-de-sac."

Comment

Working...
                      X