Penguin's raison d'etre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Penguin's raison d'etre

Every personal library will have a number of doughty Penguin titles sprinkled amongst its bookshelf titles, and in its heyday, the company admirably succeeded in bringing high culture to within mass affordability. But, in an era where Amazon offers virtually every pre-WW1 title for free, what is the future strategy for the former king of the high street? The Allen Lane imprint adds some scholarly depth, but there seems to be no drive to expand, update or innovate the Modern Classics strand, which remain immune from public domain due to copyright.

Penguin's raison d'etre

Uh.

You point to two imprints, which have varying likely fortunes, extrapolating I-don't-know-how to the health of the parent brand.

And you point out the sales capacity of amazon, which really only works overwhelmingly in favour of publishers and against booksellers.

What, exactly and on earth, is the problem for Penguin supposed to be? I mean its raison d'etre is to turn a profit. Nothing more, nothing less. Do you think that (more than any other publisher) the current market presents an obstacle to its doing so? And if so, why?

Comment

Penguin's raison d'etre

Also, my personal library keeps all its Penguins together, informally grouped by imprint, theme, and author.

As if any of my books are "sprinkled amongst" my bookshelves. Tchoh.

Comment

Penguin's raison d'etre

Which reminds me of this amusing e-mail exchange about how much of a penguin Penguin allows authors to have (not any, apparently).

Comment

Penguin's raison d'etre

Went to an auction viewing in Byker at the weekend and there were two boxes of books (flat fruit boxes, with all the books' spines visible):

one of Penguins, all orange obviously; and one of Pelicans, lovely blues.

Just as I was beginning to salivate, a man with a baby on his chest, in one of those carriers, was hailed by his partner thus: 'Ergh...we are going to sort out our existing books aren't we, so why would you be looking at more..?'

She was articulating my inner conscience, and the oft-voiced concern of my own dear Ms Felicity. So I walked away.

Still not enough to convince me to let her group the books by publisher/spine colour/size, though.

Comment

Penguin's raison d'etre

Publishing versions of out of copyright books is a tiny, tiny part of Penguin's (actually now Penguin Random House's) business. They're the largest book publisher in the world now.

So their future strategy is to publish lots of books.

Comment

Penguin's raison d'etre

I buy Penguin editions of "classics" that I want to take notes in and re-read. They're great for that, and usually have good introductions, too.

They're well and handsomely produced, as well, for cheap paperbacks.

Comment

Penguin's raison d'etre

If you're in India, you won't have their copy of "The Hindus"

Comment

Penguin's raison d'etre

Came here to post that.

Pretty shocking example of self-censorship.

Comment

Penguin's raison d'etre

I couldn't work out whether to stick it on the Morrissey thread. I wasn't quite sure I could work a link in with him.

Comment

Penguin's raison d'etre

Took delivery of this mighty volume this morning:

If it's the sort of thing Penguin are going to up to in the future, all power to them. Fol de rol.

Comment

Working...
                      X