Covenant's Last Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covenant's Last Stand

Ok, I know not many people will be interested, and i could have just wedged this into current reading; but warts and all I have invested a lot of my life in the various incarnations of this particular leper.

I had resisted to order myself, and waited to get it for Christmas, and I am now working through Stephen Donaldson's final instalment of Thomas Covenant - The Last Dark.
    I was not sure why I was still hanging in there, , there have been times reading these especially, the second and final "trilogies" that have been like bathing in bitumen.

But the memories of the first trilogy (especially the last two of that set) have keep me going.
    Plus in the second set, there were some really fine concepts and japes.
    the final set - can't even call it a trilogy, this is book 4, has been the hardest to swallow; but blow me down, "The Last Dark " is like a breath of fresh air so far.
    I am sure it will descend in too much navel gazing by the fairly depressing Linden; but so far Covenant is holding centre stage a lot and that is always good news.

Donaldson is an odd writer, one moment he is trying to use words and adjectives, hardly ever seen; but the next he is like a child with his names - Drool Rockworm, the Lurker, The Ravers, even Lord Foul is a bit silly.

But he did come up with the best name of any fantasy place - Melenkurian Skyweir - that more than balances it out.

Well back to the book, oh shit it's a Linden chapter.

Covenant's Last Stand

Well, finished at last (unless Stevie wants to make some more mmoney and writes another one).

Very good, and in fact makes the last set worthwhile.

Amazingly feelgood at times , and quite gripping.

SPOILERS
    Though I doubt anybody else will read it.

Very funny splat on his Foulness near the end.
    Ravers get their heads kicked in/Bodies dismembered etc. - always worth a cheer; I hate them guys.
    Shock horror, Linden not as depressing as usual.

Haruchai/Bloodguard/Humbled definately my favourite character types running through the whole series of books.

So, thanks Donaldson, the whole thing ranks as a truly epic story for me; while I would have been content if you had stopped after the first set, the subsequent ones weren't too shabby.

Comment

Working...
    X