Camus Centenary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camus Centenary

100 years ago this month, the author of The Outsider, The Plague and The Fall was born in colonial Algeria. Perhaps part of the reason his books remain in print worldwide is their internationalist focus, eschewing nationalism and politics in favour of analysis of the universal human condition, thus putting him in line with Kafka and in contrast to Sartre, whose overt Communism and over-intellectualism has seen his popularity nosedive. Of course, like his anti-hero Meursault, Camus was something of an outsider, neither wholly French nor Algerian, his own quest for personal identity proving the source of his literary inspiration.

Camus Centenary

Camus interviewed at Colombes during a Racing match.

Translation of the brief interview in the comments.

Comment

Camus Centenary

The first Camus book that I read was The Fall. 'Cos Mark E named the band after the book.

Comment

Camus Centenary

R3 had an enjoyable adaptation, well maybe not the right word but you get my drift, of "The Outsider" last sunday, should be on on Iplayer now.

Comment

Camus Centenary

I read everything by him when I was 16; the first writer on the Manic Street Preachers reading list I really clicked with. All good except for when he got too French (The Rebel seemed a bit confused and/or culturally distant, and I'm sure I'd still agree with my teenage self that The Myth Of Sisyphus is just bollocks).

The Fall's my favourite. Really gets under the skin.

I guess he has more reach than Sartre because he wasn't faffing about with intellectual trends in that easily dated way. A good minimalist, influenced by American crime writers and probably the environment of sun, sea and poverty he grew up in.

Comment

Camus Centenary

Perhaps part of the reason his books remain in print worldwide is their internationalist focus, eschewing nationalism and politics in favour of analysis of the universal human condition, thus putting him in line with Kafka and in contrast to Sartre, whose overt Communism and over-intellectualism has seen his popularity nosedive.
            Mmm. P'raps.

Comment

Camus Centenary

The Fall is a bit of a boy-magnet. Nearly every man of a certain age pulls it halfway out of my bookcase and says "hmm" or gives a knowing look.

They don't do that with The Rebel, or The Plague.

Comment

Camus Centenary

MsD wrote: The Fall is a bit of a boy-magnet. Nearly every man of a certain age pulls it halfway out of my bookcase and says "hmm" or gives a knowing look.

They don't do that with The Rebel, or The Plague.
                They think it's a biography of the band.

Comment

Camus Centenary

It's not on my music shelf, it's in modern novels. I've recently moved house, so just got up to check it's in the right place.

Comment

Camus Centenary

When does it make the move to classic novels?

Comment

Camus Centenary

I did give that some thought. It's sort of in classic modern novels, next to Hesse. I haven't actually labelled the shelf.

Comment

Camus Centenary

Fantastic pass at 0:20, only slightly let down by th newsreel not showing the actual goal.

Anyway..

Comment

Camus Centenary

Actually, yeah - The Plague's brilliant, isn't it.

This is the edition of The Fall I've got:

That is a fucking book cover. And perhaps a man-magnet, like Tom Selleck or one of those guys.

I don't see a Kafka connection at all really, Diable Rouge. Kafka was a proper weirdo, in his writing at least. Camus was plugged in to normal life in a whole different way.

Comment

Camus Centenary

Alienation and all that, ain't it?

Comment

Camus Centenary

Well there was a lot of it about in the 20th century, Pat (bet I can guess your favourite Camus novel!).

I mean, there's a lot of alienation in Bret Easton Ellis, but I wouldn't connect him to either of those two.

Comment

Camus Centenary

I read The Plague as a college freshman, and I felt at the time that it was one of things where you could tell right away that you were changed you forever. I read The Stranger in high school, and I didn't like it, but The Plague was something different entirely.

Comment

Camus Centenary

ursus arctos wrote: Camus interviewed at Colombes during a Racing match.

Translation of the brief interview in the comments.
                                  "All I know most surely about morality and obligations and fucked-up jacked-up butterfingered goalkeeping, I owe to football"

Comment

Working...
                                  X