2013 Booker Shortlist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2013 Booker Shortlist

Tóibín and Lahiri apart, the committee can't be accused of cherry-picking famous authors this year:

Colm Tóibín: The Testament of Mary
    NoViolet Bulawayo: We Need New Names
    Eleanor Catton: The Luminaries
    Jim Crace: Harvest
    Jhumpa Lahiri: The Lowland
    Ruth Ozeki: A Tale For The Time Being

2013 Booker Shortlist

Are we still doing the review thing, as in previous years? If so I dibs the Ozeki book.

Comment

2013 Booker Shortlist

Can't do it this year. Will cheer from the sidelines.

Comment

2013 Booker Shortlist

I'm out this year. Sorry. Have heard good things about Bulawayo, though.

Comment

2013 Booker Shortlist

I'll fill up the numbers. Well, double the numbers at this point. Don't mind which book. As a throw-of-a-dart I'll go Harvest.

Comment

2013 Booker Shortlist

I'd love to, but:

1. I keep agreeing to, and then failing

2. term's starting, plus a number of other commitments are falling due around now. Definitely no time this time.

Comment

2013 Booker Shortlist

And Eleanor Catton takes it, becoming the youngest ever to win at 28.

Remember, you read it here first.

And if you actually did...well...that's sort of sad.

Comment

2013 Booker Shortlist

I hear you lot are claiming her, WOM. Hands off.

Over the past 48 hours, nearly everyone in NZ has had the same conversation ...

"She won it? Awesome!"
                "Have you read it?"
                "Um ..."

Whenever there's local media flag-waving for Peter Jackson movies* or the All Blacks, you can usually wing it. You've seen the trailer, the highlights, the tweets, you've got an opinion.

A bit harder with 800 pages to get through. I'll let you all know, next year maybe.

(on second thoughts, bad example, his movies are 800 pages too ...)

Comment

2013 Booker Shortlist

I think I'll save this for prison. I have enough difficulty with fiction, but 800 plus pages? Huh.

But yeah, 'Canadian-born' has been the lead phrase on this one. Any tenuous connection in a storm. And this on top of Alice Munro last week.

Comment

2013 Booker Shortlist

We will claim anyone who once made a flight connection at a Canadian airport.

For example today's Canuck For a Day is Ted Cruz. We are a sad and lonely bunch of people.

Comment

2013 Booker Shortlist

Well, I just bought 'The Luminaries'. I'll be reading it on a long flight at the weekend, and probably every weekend for the next twelve months.

Comment

2013 Booker Shortlist

I will prefer to read "A Tale For the Time Being" in my next flight. I never read this before can anyone tell me is my choice for this book good or not?

Comment

2013 Booker Shortlist

Yeah, sure, why not. But about these stickers and whatnot...can you spam us a bit more about them?

Comment

Working...
                          X