X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asterix.

Comment

Originally posted by Gert from the Well View Post
      Another novel with a floor plan (of sorts) is Life A User's Manual by Georges Perec
      Oh that's a good one. Yes it's more of a cross-section of the building, as I remember it

Comment

Flatland has a map of the house

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
          Can't think of any more for the moment (Miéville..?) But wanted to mention this as one downside of e-reader versions, they sometimes don't reproduce well or can't be enlarged much
          This is specifically why I'm only reading the Marlon James ones in hardback, even though that means finding a mate who's either visiting the UK from here or visiting here from the UK and convincing them to lug a copy down here for me.

Originally posted by Levin View Post
          The discworld maps were done in conjunction with Terry but we're originally a separate product. Also, I don't think much of them as maps. Ankh Morpork is almost perfectly circular, a thing that no city ever is for long (even if some, like Baghdad started out that way).
          I think part of the point of Ankh Morpork is that it's so in its infancy for most of the series that it's barely started to sprawl outside the city walls yet, though. I might be wrong about this because (until a read of one of the later-ish ones last year) it's been a couple of decades since I was properly into Discworld.

Comment

Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole books usually include a map of Oslo identifying significant locations from the stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post

The discworld maps were done in conjunction with Terry but we're originally a separate product. Also, I don't think much of them as maps. Ankh Morpork is almost perfectly circular, a thing that no city ever is for long (even if some, like Baghdad started out that way).
              Although, that is more in keeping with the cod medieval tone of Discworld because "maps" weren't really maps as we know them.

However, I remember being disappointed with the Ankh Morpork map when it came out because it didn't look like a map drawn be someone with an understanding of how cities evolve. I was an avid Discworld fan when I got it so had proper entitled fanboy disgruntlement about it.

I have a jigsaw puzzle of the Discworld map.

Comment

Riddley Walker:
                russell-hoban.jpg?w=1352&h=1714.jpg

Jerusalem by Alan Moore:
                boroughs-med.jpg
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Although, that is more in keeping with the cod medieval tone of Discworld because "maps" weren't really maps as we know them.

However, I remember being disappointed with the Ankh Morpork map when it came out because it didn't look like a map drawn be someone with an understanding of how cities evolve. I was an avid Discworld fan when I got it so had proper entitled fanboy disgruntlement about it.

I have a jigsaw puzzle of the Discworld map.
                  I had a flatmate back in the 90s. who was a big Pratchett fan and so we had a Discworld map on one of the walls. All I can remember of it is that the river was the same shape as the Thames except it was ran through the city vertically instead of horizontally.

Comment

I read today that that's a tribute to medieval maps which had East at the top (because Jerusalem).

Comment

Garth Marenghi's Terrortome

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

This is specifically why I'm only reading the Marlon James ones in hardback, even though that means finding a mate who's either visiting the UK from here or visiting here from the UK and convincing them to lug a copy down here for me.

I think part of the point of Ankh Morpork is that it's so in its infancy for most of the series that it's barely started to sprawl outside the city walls yet, though. I might be wrong about this because (until a read of one of the later-ish ones last year) it's been a couple of decades since I was properly into Discworld.
                        It's only circular inside the walls, surely?

The mapp does depict some development and buildings outside the perimeter

Also, isn't Harry King's empire described in the books as being beyond the city gates?

Comment

Currently reading The Silver Sword by Ian Serrailier. (called Escape from Warsaw in the US). The children are trying to find their dad in Switzerland during WWII, Here is their route:

Comment

What border is that between Germany and Poland?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                              Currently reading The Silver Sword by Ian Serrailier. (called Escape from Warsaw in the US). The children are trying to find their dad in Switzerland during WWII, Here is their route:

That brings back memories. A near drowning accident saw
                              me spend 5 days in hospital when I was 10. My teacher visited and brought me that book, which quickly became a number 1 favourite .

Comment

Anyway

Back on topic, the Majipoor books by Robert Silverberg, and I think there's a Helliconia map in one of the Brian Aldiss series

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post

great book....

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

It's only circular inside the walls, surely?

The mapp does depict some development and buildings outside the perimeter

Also, isn't Harry King's empire described in the books as being beyond the city gates?
                                    The circular inside the walls bit was my point. As I remember it (and I didn't bring it with me when I moved here, so I've not even lived in the same country as my copy for 13 years and haven't looked at it for longer than that) it depicted the official city limits, i.e. the enwalled bit. I might be wrong about that of course.

And I can't remember anything about Harry King. The name isn't even familiar to me!

Comment

Harry King was the recycling tycoon from The Truth. Harry's "empire" was definitely both inside and outside the city walls, but I can't recall the AM maps well enough to know if any depicted that.

Comment

Dune:
                                        10161%20-%20arrakis%20dune%20kwisatz_haderach%20map%20spice.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by lambers View Post
                                          Harry King was the recycling tycoon from The Truth. Harry's "empire" was definitely both inside and outside the city walls, but I can't recall the AM maps well enough to know if any depicted that.
                                          Ah, OK. I'd stopped reading them by the time that one came out, which was a long time after the Mapp was published.

Comment

Good call. I forgot about Dune.

Comment

The fact he hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread, especially as he has his own thread going fairly near the top of this forum, makes me wonder if I'm going to get a QI klaxon for saying Tolkien...

Otherwise, I will note Where the Crawdads Sing, which I just finished last week, which has a little map of the small portion of North Carolina coast where the events unfold.

Comment

Ursus bagginsed Tolkein with one of the first replies.

Comment

Clearly I need a map to get around this thread.

Comment

Watership Down, albeit not the clearest image.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X