X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Moomin books

Thread inspired by delicatemoth

My favourite is Moominland Midwinter.

I did a 'Which Moomin character are you quiz?' and was told I was The Groke. It made me reconsider my life.

Moomins on the Riviera is a weird film. But generally the Moomin stories are a bit weird. I'm fairly sure Tove Jansson based characters on people she knew and I'm sure her family and friends thought they were hilarious caricatures. I've often felt like I'm missing an in joke.

The Hattifatteners terrified me when I was a kid.

IMG_20221231_103956_653.jpg

I'll dig out my Jansson biography and post some stuff. You probably know that Too-ticky from Moominland Midwinter was inspired by her partner Tuulikki Pietilä, also an artist.

Comment

I've never quite managed to get into the Moomins. But The Summer Book is one of the best books I've ever read,

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
        I'll dig out my Jansson biography and post some stuff. You probably know that Too-ticky from Moominland Midwinter was inspired by her partner Tuulikki Pietilä, also an artist.
        Please do.

Oxfam shops are a great source of (brand new) Moomin items as they have a commercial partnership with the company that owns the rights.

Comment

Some Moomin thoughts.

I've probably read Finn Family Moomintroll more times than any other book. My copy is beyond worn out and my Moomin collection, along with Tolkien topically enough, are the only books from my childhood I've liberated from the bookshelf at my mums house.

Moominpapa at Sea is responsible for my lifelong love of lighthouses. Living the life of a keeper on the rocks is my dream job.

Comet in Moominland is my favourite story though.

Edit to add: Agree about the Hattifatteners being terrifying. Way more scary than those black riders.
          Last edited by Greenlander; 03-03-2023, 14:48.

Comment

Apparently I'm Snufkin. I can live with that.

Comment

We have a stylish photo of Ms ursus with this statue at he museum in the public library in Tampere (which we recommend)

Comment

When you board the ferry to Stockholm from Helsinki, you are welcomed aboard by giant Moomins and around half the products in the shops aboard are also Moomin inspired. It's quite unnerving

Comment

The Groke is such a poignant character. I am reconsidering what I thought I knew about PT. I'm also Groke.

Moominland Midwinter is one of the best 10 books I've ever read.I still re-read it every few years, but I had to buy a new one as my original copy has now fallen apart. It's the only book I still have from childhood.

I like the sound of Moomin greeters on a ferry.

Comment

Working...
                  X