'90s Britain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'90s Britain

It isn't a bad book but ultimately I found it frustrating and unsatisfying. He uses the memoirs of the politicians of the day well and I suppose I'm grateful that he's read Major, Currie, Brandreth et al so that we don't have to. Every Tony Blair quote does not achieve the presidential tone Blair was aiming for, but ends up sounding something more likely to be uttered by Alan Partridge.

I felt the pop culture stuff was weak and frequently read more like a list of things to be glossed over and if there is a limit an author should feel it necessary to produce a quote from Drop The Dead Donkey then Turner hasn't recognised it.

No problem with the hammering of New Labour as being in existence merely to win elections but pointing out their vacuity is hardly a revelation. There's no real narrative, no real conclusions and in his eagerness to put it to Blair he ends up being far too charitable to the Tories, citing sleaze so as to make it seem like media froth when he should be more bothered not by the sex but by the blatant corruption. Edit - as Sw2 articulated far better above!

Ultimately it just felt a rather lightweight book on a strange decade which will undoubtedly be bettered.

Comment

'90s Britain

Mr Beast wrote:

Ultimately it just felt a rather lightweight book on a strange decade which will undoubtedly be bettered.
      Well I'm sure it will be bettered in time. For now though there ain't much else out there.

I wonder will future historians try to argue that the '90s were, in a way, the first decade of the 21st century? The arrival of the Internet and the mainstream political landscape moving towards towards the centre are two factors I can think of.

Comment

'90s Britain

Fixed for you.
        Land Waster wrote: the mainstream political landscape moving towards towards the [strike]centre[/strike] right

Comment

'90s Britain

Spending on education.

And health.

Given that Labour's spendingpolicies post 2001 were popular, think it's a bit unfair to describe the public as being rightwing.

Comment

'90s Britain

Describing the political landscape as rightwing is not the same as describing the public as rightwing.

Comment

'90s Britain

I love the way a political row on 'Books' can take several days or even weeks to brew, especially during summer during a World Cup.

C'mon Tubby, you're not to going to take that shit from E10, are you? [Note to self: check back in August for Tubby's response.]

Comment

'90s Britain

Like a poor WC match, surely the action is all in the centre of the pitch these days.

Comment

Working...
                X