Barbara Ehrenreich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barbara Ehrenreich

I was going to add "RIP" but she would probably scoff at the sentiment. She died a few days ago.

Many years ago, when I got news from Time instead of Google, I would turn to the brief essay in the magazine and hope it was Ehrenreich that week. This AP report refers to her "accessible prose style", and I don't think there were many better at it than her. At some level I still use her writing as a personal yardstick for reading Op-Eds: would this column pass the "Ehrenreich" test? (the answer is usually "no").

"Nickel and Dimed" is also a useful rejoinder to comforting nostalgia: yes, there was a time before Trump and even Dubya, and it might have been better but it really wasn't all that.

https://apnews.com/article/obituarie...ff55441902017e

One of the most important USian writers of the last 30 years and a tremendous loss.

RIP

Comment

Indeed, a great loss. Her Dancing in the Streets is wonderful. She wrote a regular Guardian column for many years and was easily the best columnist on the paper.

Comment

She has some bargains on Kindle. Fear of Falling $2.99, essays $3.99. I think she captures how much of US culture is irrational.

Comment

Smile or Die and Blood Rites were wonderful necessary books. RIP.

Comment

Working...
          X