Nevada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nevada

'Nevada' by Imogen Binnie has been reissued.

I had, on occasion, previously read novels by authors that spoke to my psychic interior quite deeply (Lessing, Angela Carter, Diski, Kelman, LeGuin, Dick, Kafka), but reading 'Nevada' was on another level. I had never felt so perceived, never read a book that seemed so psychologically accurate. Even though it's about a woman taking a road trip from New York with some heroin, something I've never done or will do, it struck to my heart.

If you're at all interested in the interiority of trans women, what it's like to be us, what it is like to exist in a body that can feel like a tomb or a badly fitting meatsuit, I urge you to read it.

Binnie talks about the book, and her life, here - https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/...arly-internet/

A profile of Binnie and the book - https://www.vulture.com/article/prof...ie-nevada.html

Thanks for the tip, dm - and it's on to my to read list.

Comment

That's cool, you were one of the posters I thought might be interested. My description of it is in part based on my mum's description of Elena Ferrante, who I know you love, as an outstanding chronicler of the interior life of (cis) women. I still need to get to the Neapolitan Quartet, I read one of her others and found it excellent, but I've been out of the library habit since covid.

Also gonna tag WOM in case he didn't see the post.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
        Also gonna tag WOM in case he didn't see the post.
        I did, in fact, and clicked through to read the Vulture post. Appreciate it.

Comment

Actually, thought of you last night. We went to see Henry Rollins doing his spoken word thing, and he touched on trans positivity a number of times (as he does) and was bigging up Tig Notaro's two shows at the same venue tonight, which are of course both sold out.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
            That's cool, you were one of the posters I thought might be interested. My description of it is in part based on my mum's description of Elena Ferrante, who I know you love, as an outstanding chronicler of the interior life of (cis) women. I still need to get to the Neapolitan Quartet, I read one of her others and found it excellent, but I've been out of the library habit since covid.
            I envy you for still having the Neapolitan quartet to read.

Comment

Picked Nevada up in Waterstone's Sheffield last week - now on my unfeasibly tall 'to-read' pile, but plan to get to it this summer.

Comment

I haven't read this yet, but I suspect it could be the best thing ever with "Nevada" in the name.

Comment

Before I could get around to Nevada, I started Rabih Alameddine's The Wrong End of the Telescope, which is also fantastic.

Comment

Finished the Alameddine novel now - the dissolute series of narratives become even more moving and engaging the further you read. Big fat recommendation.

Comment

So, Imogen Binnie is doing some events in Britain, and I missed her at my local bookshop because I didn't know. You can catch her in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Manchester "sometime in the next week", though I don't know any details beyond that.

Comment

I'm almost done with Nevada - it's been a fantastic and thoroughly enlightening read. Thank you for the recommendation, dm, I have learnt a fucking ton and been constantly moved/entertained along the way. Looking forward to Binnie's Afterword now.

Comment

Oh that's made my morning, I'm really glad you're enjoying it.

Comment

Add me to those who’ve read this on the basis of the recommendation at the top of the thread. Just finished it - it’s kind of a joy to read in the buzzy way it’s written, engaging and fun. But also really enlightening. I was expecting something maybe heavier and worthier, but it generally wears its heavy content very lightly.
                            Last edited by San Bernardhinault; 04-11-2022, 03:53.

Comment

Working...
                            X