Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was that author with mostly alliterative titles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who was that author with mostly alliterative titles?

This is bugging me. I never read any but I saw them in bookshops, and in friends' homes. Irish-American? Comic novels? Anyone out there can help?

Sounds like J.P. Donleavy.

Comment

Thanks. Looking at his oeuvre there are fewer alliterative titles than I (half) remembered.

Comment

I enjoyed the Ginger Man but CBA for the rest

Comment

I tried one of his but didn't get on with it. He seemed to put a lot of energy into inhabiting the role of Irish-American Novelist.

Comment

Aye. Potential readers are likely to shy from Quixotic Quirks of Quentin Q however good the previous

Comment

The Ginger Man was the name of the restaurant by Lincoln Center favoured by members of New York City Ballet and their hangers on.

It was/is also the name of a pub in the Flatiron District in which I had a pleasant early evening with an OTFer on tour.

Comment

It's a pub near the corner of merrion square. It's about 100 metres from the oscar wilde museum and a 100 metres from the back gate of trinity college. The Ginger man was such a hard read. The central character is such an unpleasant cunt, and largely unaware of it.

I also can't decide which was the worse at public interactions. Jp Dunleavy, joseph heller or brett easton ellis.
                Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 31-05-2022, 14:49.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  It was/is also the name of a pub in the Flatiron District in which I had a pleasant early evening with an OTFer on tour.
                  Was. Killed during COVID.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                    It's a pub near the corner of merrion square. It's about 100 metres from the oscar wilde museum and a 100 metres from the back gate of trinity college. The Ginger man was such a hard read. The central character is such an unpleasant cunt, and largely unaware of it.

I also can't decide which was the worse at public interactions. Jp Dunleavy, joseph heller or brett easton ellis.
                    At least Heller freely confessed that nothing else he wrote came close to Catch-22, and was able accordingly to have fun at his own expense, whereas Brett Easton Ellis burnt all his media bridges.

Comment

I read a few Donleavy novels in my teens because they were on my dad's shelf, but the novelty wore off and I can remember nothing about any of them besides a train journey one of the characters was taking out to the suburbs where the stations are named Outer Bollock and Fartsville. Whenever I'm on a suburban train and it starts stopping at these kind of deserted places, especially on Sundays or late at night, I always think: "Next stop: Outer Bollock".

Comment

Working...
                      X