Current Music Books

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
    Two great reminders from imp- that exhibition and the Go-Bs book (I will be in floods, as some of the songs send me as it is)
    I did make it to the Rip it Up exhibition on its last day and I've just finished Grant & I. It's great. I wept, as predicted. He really can write and for such an evident performer/show-off, he has a really nice self-deprecating approach. Inevitably has driven me to fill in a few gaps in my discog of their solo work. Can't believe I didn't buy Warm Nights at the time, since Edwyn Collins was both producting and playing on it (I've got some of the tracks on the Intermission compilation).

And I'd love to track down the les Inrockuptibles Go-Betweens special issue - the cd (which has a great map cover) is around on ebay and discogs but not the magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      Just started David Cavanagh's book on Peel. Will report back. I like the approach of seeing each episode as a time capsule, with the news bulletin and playlist providing context. I wonder if it will challenge the growing view that John Walters did much of the donkey work, such as the gigging and talent spotting. Andy Kershaw's autobiography was very hard and bitter regarding Peel, claiming that he didn't do enough to fight the BBC's reductions of Peel and Kershaw's hours.
      A good book. Sadly, David Cavanagh died suddenly a couple of days ago.

Comment

I bought my brother Kenney Jones's autobiography "let the good times roll ".
        Having had a career with The Small Faces, The Faces and The Who he must have some stories to tell, I'm borrowing it when he's finished.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
          A good book. Sadly, David Cavanagh died suddenly a couple of days ago.
          Very sad news. RIP.

Comment

Sad news indeed.

Music book of the year for me is Will Ashon’s book on the Wu-Tang. The intellectual range and ambition of it is remarkable. I’d recommend it to anyone who has any interest in any aspect of American culture.

Comment

Not a music book as such, though it plays a major role in the book for obvious reasons - anyway, just read Ben Watt's 'Romany and Tom', his memoir about his parents, and it's the kind of book you regret having to finish. His Dad was a jazz bandleader and an alcoholic depressive, his Mum an actress whose career was cut short by triplets (Watt's half-siblings), and who then became a journalist mainly for TV Times, semi-famous for interviewing Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor several times. Beautifully written, in particular on the travails of dealing with slowly deteriorating parents.

Comment

I finally bought the two more recent books by some wannabee writer David Stubbs. Also picked up a repress of "England's Hidden Reverse" which I had wished I bought 15 years ago before it went out of print and changed hands at Kodwo Eshun like prices.

Comment

Working...
                X