No announcement yet.

Football Book Review Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've not read this to review it as it's out today on ebook but it looks right up OTF's street :

WCLDN

London, England; the long hot World Cup summer of 2018. Endless sun, fractious politics, Boxpark beer showers, and a growing belief that football might just be coming home.

From Lewisham’s local pubs to the Colombian cafes of Elephant & Castle, and Belgian bars of Covent Garden; W C L D N is a look at how one of the world’s most global cities consumes one of the most global sports events.

​​​​​​​At least it would be, had its author not been lost in the fog of depression. Instead it is an observation on London and its football fans written through a clouded lens.

​​​​​​​How do you connect with one of the most unifying, most communal events of the sport you love, when you are at your loneliest? Is the football merely a diversion from the everyday; a means of escape from the heavier pressures that continue to weigh down on you? Or can it offer a way to reconnect with yourself and your surroundings?

Comment

Just ordered the Jonathan Wilson book on Hungarian football and pre-ordered Steven Scraggs's history of the European Cup Winner's Cup.

Both 'right up my street' topics.

Comment

I would recommend "Puskas On Puskas" for some gorgeous material on Hungary. Only Ł3.95 to buy on Kindle

Comment

New David Goldblatt book due soon, too. Along with Wilson I find his work really engaging.

Comment

Hello everyone,

I have recently written a book about my team Huddersfield Town which charts what happened next for each and every player that has ever played a game for the club. Where Are They Now is a comprehensive guide to what happened next for all the favourites over the years and also the least favourite ones!!

I know that this is probably a niche thing but I know that there’s a lot of football fans out there that collect football books and their collections are not necessarily limited to the team that they support.

I thought I’d let you know of the book’s existence and if you’d like a copy the link is here; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Where-Are-T.../dp/1912027607

Thanks for your time and if you manage to get a copy of the book, you won’t be disappointed!!

LSM

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
              I've not read this to review it as it's out today on ebook but it looks right up OTF's street :

WCLDN
              Ah only just seen this. Thanks for sharing, RdG.

Comment

Originally posted by Uroš Predić View Post

Ah only just seen this. Thanks for sharing, RdG.
                Congratulations on getting it out, Glen.

Comment

We've reduced the Kindle price of Things Can Only Get Better: Bury's mid-90s rise under Stan Ternent to Ł4.99 and The Forgotten Fifteen: How Bury triumphed in British football's worst year to just Ł1.99 for a week. Loads of five-star reviews on Amazon for each. Read them and realise just how much we all loved the club that Stewart and Steve destroyed. Cheers.
                  Last edited by Giggler; 10-10-2019, 19:56.

Comment

Just finished "Recovering", the memoir of ex-Millwall and Ireland striker Richie Sadlier. Barely counts under the football books thread given how little there is about the game itself (not helped obviously by his curtailed playing career), but it's one of the best sports-related memoirs I've read in a while. I won't mention the salient points in case anyone who hasn't seen any reviews/coverage of its release is looking to read it without any spoilers, but suffice to say anyone familiar with Richie's warm and eloquent work on RTE, Second Captains, etc. will be quite shocked at what he's been through to get to the seemingly happy point in life he's at now.

Comment

I'm trying to work out from Barney Ronay's Guardian review of David Goldblatt's The Age of Football, what it's really about - that is, what is the point, or what conclusions do we come to after 540 pages? Other than that it covers a lot of ground and is a tour de force for reasons not really specified.

Comment

I fear my question was too challenging for OTF‘s greatest minds, so I‘ve downloaded the book to try and find out for myself. Am about to embark on a ‚football books of the year‘ round-up for my Soccer America column, so any recommendations for books published this year (either in hardback or paperback) are welcome. Bear in mind I‘m writing for a US audience, so more general themes preferred. ‚Scunthorpe United - The Old Showground Years‘ is probably not the kind of thing I’ll be writing about, although if that book existed I would definitely get it.

Comment

Imp, I suggest this one because I'm aware of it and it's very much within your kettle of fish, but must also mention (or remind you, because I might have mentioned it on this thread already) that I am aware of it because I proofread it: Mensch by Jonathan Harding is one that you might (or might not) find interesting. Obviously if you do decide to include it then do mention if you're impressed with the quality of the spelling and the punctuation and that.

Comment

Thanks, Sam - it's a fairly cheap download, so I'll try and take a look at it. I'm fucking ruthless on typos, though...

Comment

Working...
                            X