Football Book Review Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...while ex-Southend and Colchester legend Roy McDonough's book Red Card Roy is reviewed here:

http://thetwounfortunates.com/book-review-red-card-roy/

Comment

As discussed, James Moor's book on Partizan Belgrade, Grobar is reveiwed by me here:

http://thetwounfortunates.com/book-review-grobar-partizan-pleasure-pain-and-paranoia/

while Russell George also appraises Duncan Hamilton's new biography of George Best:

http://thetwounfortunates.com/book-review-immortal/

Comment

I thought I'd put this here rather than open a brand new topic. Can anyone recommend a book about the formation of the European Cup, European Cup Winners Cup and UEFA Cup and the events leading up to it?

I appreciate a whole book on this subject might be stretching it but even an informed blog would be good.

Comment

There is a new book out from Ockley which brings together some of the best known football bloggers and it's really very good. It is reviewed by The Two Unfortunates here:

http://thetwounfortunates.com/book-review-falling-for-football/

Comment

Well, the new edition of this is finally out (Kindle and e-reader only, unfortunately).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Book-World-Cup-ebook/dp/B00HJY13V0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394210190&sr=8-1&keywords=cris+freddi

Great stuff, as always. The new sections are Germany 2006 and South Africa 2010. Freed of print-edition page restrictions, Freddi has written about 80,000 new words on the two tournaments combined, so the entries for each game are, on average, a fair bit longer than in previous editions of the book. On one hand, this is somewhat over the top -- nobody realistically needs 800 words on a game as unexceptional as Poland-Ecuador 2006 or . On the other, hey, the more material to read the better. I think the longest entry of all is for Italy-France 2006, which is about 2,900 words.

Reading it on a Kindle is murder, it must be said. The only headings/break points are the start of each tournament, so if you want to go back to a particular match you've either to enter in a search term (e.g. a particular player's name) or press the forward and back buttons a hell of a lot.

Anyway, a great read, apart from the mad stuff about Sergio Ramos being "a lion" and Totti being Italy's most important player in 2006 (!).

Comment

Joe McGinniss, author of The Miracle Of Castel Di Sangro, has died.

Comment

I read "Fallen" The Rangers tax case book account on holiday last week. As its basically a blogs retelling it gets a bit repetitive but Id still recommend it. The SFA and Scots press must be ashamed to show their faces in public.
                Also read 'Clasico" which is a BarcaVMadrid history with very little not covered in 'Morbo" or "White Angels" etc. Still helped pass the time by the pool.

Comment

I bought this in discount store yesterday. I was completely unfamiliar with it, but It's a pretty good read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cultured-Left-Foot-Footballing-Greatness-ebook/dp/B004ISLDT2/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1396551367&sr=1-1&keywords=cultured+left+foot

Comment

Sport Economist wrote: There is a new book out from Ockley which brings together some of the best known football bloggers and it's really very good. It is reviewed by The Two Unfortunates here:

http://thetwounfortunates.com/book-review-falling-for-football/
                    I'm not sure whether this counts as a recommendation or not but my chapter in that book is the weakest, I reckon. I strongly recommend reading it and skipping what I wrote.

Comment

As my daughters say when I put dinner on the table and apologise for its possible poor quality before anyone's even tasted it, "There's nothing more off-putting than the cook making excuses for his food before you've even had the chance to try it." Don't put yourself down, lad.

Comment

"Don't put yourself down, lad".

Yeah, that's our job.

Comment

Having done a little searching on old threads, I don't know if I can post what I was going to post here.

Nah, I'm sure I can. In what now appears to be a fine tradition of OTFers buying imp's first book in ways which don't actually make him any money, I recently bought For Whom The Ball Rolls in a charity shop in Bury St Edmunds. And it is both bloody marvellous and hilarious.

I should and would like to try to square things up a little by buying The Chairman's Daughter but I don't have an e-reader.

Comment

It was a weird thing, really. About two weeks ago, I got in from work and there was a parcel waiting for me and I didn't know what it could possibly have been. So I opened it and it was a football book - I occasionally get review copies in the post - so no great surprises there.

But it looked familiar, so I opened it up and had a flick through the index, only to see my name there. I wrote my bit for it about two or three years ago, I think, and it had completely slipped my mind. I read my own chapter thinking, "Well, that sounds like the sort of thing I'd say."

Just as a quick for the record, I wouldn't count my comment as some sort of faux modesty. The rest of the book is really, really, really good. It thoroughly deserves the excellent reviews it has got elsewhere. My bit is... okay. Not the best thing I've ever written, certainly not the worst.

Comment

Selected Ambient Works 85-92 wrote:

Well, the new edition of this is finally out (Kindle and e-reader only, unfortunately).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Book-World-Cup-ebook/dp/B00HJY13V0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394210190&sr=8-1&keywords=cris+freddi

Great stuff, as always.
                              Yeh, I like that book, although I only have the 2002 edition.

Cris Freddi gives some great background info on many of the games. He makes some interesting points about Spain's progress from England's group at the 1950 WC.

As usual, all the attention focuses on England's defeat to the USA. But as Freddi points out, Spain's victories over England and the USA was seen in Spain as sweet revenge over the Yankee and Brit imperialists.

The Spanish were miffed at being excluded from the post-war Marshall Plan, and so their progress at England and the USA's expense was seen as sticking two fingers up at them.

Which no doubt thousands of fans in Spain did as they listened to the games over thier cackling shortwave radios.

Comment

Land Waster wrote: The Spanish were miffed at being excluded from the post-war Marshall Plan, and so their progress at England and the USA's expense was seen as sticking two fingers up at them.

Which no doubt thousands of fans in Spain did as they listened to the games over thier cackling shortwave radios.
                                Or while giving stiff-armed salutes. Imagine not including a fascist state in the Marshall Plan right after six years of full-scale war fighting fascism.

@ Kevinho - you can download a Kindle app from the amazon web site, and it works on any PC or Mac. Glad you enjoyed FWTBR, and thanks for linking to that old thread - I still owe Orion Books three and a half grand, but they've thankfully long since stopped seining me royalty statements.

Comment

I'm going to upgrade my assessment of Musa Okwonga's 'Cultured Left Foot' from "pretty good read" to "really impressive".

Comment

You'd better hope EIM doesn't see that.

Comment

Selected Ambient Works 85-92 wrote: You'd better hope EIM doesn't see that.
                                      Why?

Edit - I have just seen your rather lukewarm review of the book in the WSC archive. Doesn't do for us all to be the same, I suppose.

Comment

I can barely even remember writing that.

Anyway, EIM has blasted the guy numerous times on here.

Comment

Furtho wrote: Joe McGinniss, author of The Miracle Of Castel Di Sangro, has died.
                                          Sad to hear that, while the book grated slightly on occasion it was a great thing. Rest easy Joe.

Comment

Selected Ambient Works 85-92 wrote: I can barely even remember writing that.

Anyway, EIM has blasted the guy numerous times on here.
                                            Really? What did he ever do to EIM?

Comment

He wrote two books about football before he'd ever gone to a game. Okwonga is a bluffer.

Comment

Nice guy though, apparently. But I'm not interested in nicety and detail.

Comment

Erics Inner Monologue wrote: He wrote two books about football before he'd ever gone to a game. Okwonga is a bluffer.
                                                  There's plenty on OTF like that.

Comment

Just finished The Nowhere Men. Lovely book. Really neatly (and non-simplistically) encapsulates the tension between old school scouting and statistical Moneyball types. Some nice gossipy slagging of players too. Mind you, my only (admittedly churlish) criticism is that Michael Calvin really, really likes commas and didn't know an editor who could help him use them properly.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X