Larry McMurtry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larry McMurtry

Died over a week ago, and I've only just found out (from casually browsing Guardian obituaries, not OTF. Bad OTF!).

If I was in lockdown I think I'd be happy to spend the time with Lonesome Dove and the rest of his works. I still haven't read or even watched Terms of Endearment.

But I'd want to leave lockdown to go to that "everything must go" book sale he had. That must have been a treat.

I was too depressed to post anything

I was certain that there was a relatively recent thread of appreciation, but don't seem to be able to find it

Comment

This one, probably (though older than I was thinking):

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...on#post2177001

Edit: I wasn't meaning for the link to take you to the last post, but anyway.

Comment

RIP.

Lonesome Dove was originally written as a screenplay for John Wayne and when it was made as a miniseries it had over 26 million viewers, and an amazing cast for 1989 including Steve Buscemi and Chris Cooper

it remains with A Suitable Boy the most complete novel world of a book written in my lifetime that I've ever encountered

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          I was too depressed to post anything
          Yep. Me too.

Comment

There's currently a six-hour documentary on Ernest Hemingway on PBS. Larry Mc will probably never be honoured that way, but I'll remember his characters and stories for much longer than I do Papa's.

Comment

Working...
            X