Spines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spines

Did you know that there isn't a universally accepted book spine orientation? Hungarians for example do it the opposite way round to the way the UK /US do. I don't know if they're the only "upside-down" European language publishers who exist but I'd like to know

To give an example, this is a small shelf in our house. All these books are the right way up

There is even variation within countries

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      There is even variation within countries
      I think this might be an area where even DCI Harry Batt can agree there should be rules.

Comment

Yet another source of disappointment for him, then

France and Germany are generally "Hungarian", but not always.

Italy is generally "Anglo", but not always.

Comment

Yeah, I hate the way my French books look on shelves.

Comment

I noticed this for the first time when designing the jacket for my own book last year.

I was also surprised to find there was no standard format of whether it should be title or author first.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

I think this might be an area where even DCI Harry Batt can agree there should be rules.
              Hey. Just because I'm (not) an anarchist doesn't mean I don't think we need rules.

Comment

We had French books when I was a kid, so I have always known they are (generally) wrong.

Comment

I checked my shelf. The only one that isn't 'right', is one from Hungary. ('Omelette a Woburn' - Kosztolanyi, Holibri Press)

Comment

Originally posted by matt j View Post
                    I checked my shelf. The only one that isn't 'right', is one from Hungary. ('Omelette a Woburn' - Kosztolanyi, Holibri Press)
                    Kolibri, I suspect. I don't think there is a word holibri

Comment

I admit I don't actually know if that was the publisher, but it says Holibri on the bottom of the cover, and I can't find any other usage of it in the front/back matter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Omelette-Wo.../dp/9630937050

(which says: "Kossuth K?nyvkiad?" as publisher, so I have no idea what Holibri means.)

Comment

Looks to be an imprint of sorts

Comment

JD Salinger liked titles to be printed horizontally on book spines. Specified it in his publishing contracts.

Comment

Comment

On a slightly different tack, people who snap the spines of books (probably pretty much confined to paperbacks) are psychopaths who want locking up.

Comment

The Polish are also "Hungarian", judging from the handful of mostly cookbooks we have. I've never noticed that before.

Comment

Do you mean people who end up with snapped book-spines - which is totally normal behaviour for normal humans? Or are there people who actively snap the spines as they start to read?

Comment

Looks to be an imprint of sorts
                                    Which, naturally, that example has the spine the 'right' way (opposite of my book).

Comment

Also has the author's name in Anglo format

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                        are there people who actively snap the spines as they start to read?
                                        Yes. Monsters exist.

Comment

Turkish books are also Hungarian style.

Comment

Also has the author's name in Anglo format
                                            I notice, now that you point it out, that in the shelf pictured, Marukami is named in the Hungarian order, but Saramago named in "our" way (and his, of course). Is that because in Japanese it would be more like Marukami Haruki? Or is it just the individual publisher choice?

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                              Or are there people who actively snap the spines as they start to read?
                                              There are. It makes me cringe every time I witness it.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

I notice, now that you point it out, that in the shelf pictured, Marukami is named in the Hungarian order, but Saramago named in "our" way (and his, of course). Is that because in Japanese it would be more like Marukami Haruki? Or is it just the individual publisher choice?
                                                Publisher's/Translator's choice, unless the author cares enough to make it part of the contract

Murakami has been consistently "Anglo order" in English language editions of which I am aware, though there is some evidence that that convention may be changing slowly (The Economist recently adopted Japanese order)

Comment

We tend to "Anglo order" Hungarian writers too
                                                  https://www.ndbooks.com/book/satantango/

(and of course, footballers)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X