Bookshop.org

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bookshop.org

New service launching today in the UK (having been operating in America since the start of the year) – https://uk.bookshop.org/

Gives a decent chunk of sales (30% of cover price, I believe) to your local indie bookshop of choice. Another convenient alternative to lining Bezos's pockets during this next lockdown...

It looks great. I wish that either they could sell Kindle ebooks (I mean, obviously I understand why they can't) or that I could read their ebook files on my Kindle. If that were possible I'd be opening an account.

Comment

I made a conscious effort to de-Amazon earlier this year, and the Kindle is one of the things that is quite difficult to do away with. My Kindle is absolutely ancient anyway though, so I decided this would be a good opportunity to buy a non-Amazon tablet, which now opens up buying eBooks from different sources (I use Hive, which also gives a cut to an indie bookshop of your choosing, and ebooks.com).

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        It looks great. I wish that either they could sell Kindle ebooks (I mean, obviously I understand why they can't) or that I could read their ebook files on my Kindle. If that were possible I'd be opening an account.
        Do they sell EPUB files rather than MOBI? Calibre is a very handy program for converting ebook files.

Glad to see that it's epxanded to the UK, and that it's gotten a lot of attention. Saw a few stories about it this week. I found a new indie bookstore in my hometown that I wouldn't have known about otherwise thanks to them.

Comment

It's a cracking idea. Was disappointed to find my nearest – and very good – little independent isn't on there (yet), alas.

Comment

Yes, great idea although, like Jobi, I've been using Hive for many years which seems to do the same thing. Most of the Christmas presents I buy tend to be books so this comes at a perfect time of the year.

Comment

There's also indiebookshops.com who list and highlight indies for those who want to bypass any of these services and find indies to support directly.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post

Do they sell EPUB files rather than MOBI? Calibre is a very handy program for converting ebook files.

Glad to see that it's epxanded to the UK, and that it's gotten a lot of attention. Saw a few stories about it this week. I found a new indie bookstore in my hometown that I wouldn't have known about otherwise thanks to them.
                Thanks for the tip.

Bizarrely I now find they do not in fact sell ebooks yet. Which means I must have created a false memory because I could swear I checked last week on the UK site and that they did. I must have got it confused with the US site (which does sell ebooks), but I was sure I'd been careful to check I was on the UK one.

Comment

I’m stuck with Amazon because of Audible.

Comment

Working...
                  X