• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'ow working class people speak, like

(according to JK Rowling)

https://twitter.com/NickMDuffy/status/1306273216189665280?s=20

Hoo dear.

She's not doing herself a whole host of favours lately.

Comment

I have never read any books by JK Rowling but remember suggestions that the length of the later Harry Potters was due to their runaway success putting her beyond the usual editing process. Some constructive criticism might have been helpful here by the look of it but big name authors can get away with churning out any old shit for decades as long as their audience holds up.
      Last edited by Benjm; 17-09-2020, 10:05.

Comment

That piece of writing is utterly dreadful.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
          That piece of writing is utterly dreadful.
          Lor' love you TonTon me old mucker.Just 'oo d you fink u are!

Comment

Gor blimey Nef me ol’ Choina, you took them words roight ou’ a moi maaf.

Comment

Janice needs to sort out her "'oo"s from her "who"'s. Terrible inconsistency, Janice. I think you're putting that accent on.

Comment

and "happened"

Comment

This is absolutely incredible.

Comment

I liked this follow up tweet

https://twitter.com/LiamTheoneill/status/1306376620287164417?s=19

Comment

Can I also point out here that the expression is 'knocking seven bells out of (somebody)'?

I mean, pretty poor stuff all round, JK.

Comment

I'll never understand it when someone who is rich beyond every requirement feels the need to keep going and ends up torching their entire reputation.

Comment

Have to say that I've never especially rated her writing.

(Reading the above again, however - that really is beyond atrocious.)

Comment

Is the book a new version of Riddley Walker?

Comment

I'm impressed how the uneducated working class person can pronounce the phrase "sex sells better than domestic violence" as a commentary on newspaper editorial choices.

(When they could have said "they're more int'rested in fuckin' than slappin' your wife aroun'")

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                I'll never understand it when someone who is rich beyond every requirement feels the need to keep going and ends up torching their entire reputation.
                                No, I do get that. Some people enjoy working.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                  I have never read any books by JK Rowling but remember suggestions that the length of the later Harry Potters was due to their runaway success putting her beyond the usual editing process. Some constructive criticism might have been helpful here by the look of it but big name authors can get away with churning out any old shit for decades as long as their audience holds up.
                                  I liked all the books just fine. They did get longer, but I don't think they really needed more editing. They're not fucking Shakespeare, but they move along and tell the story effectively.

Besides, a lot of people, especially kids, really liked being in that world and didn't want it to end, so the main audience didn't mind that she dragged it out a bit.

Comment

As I Tweeted - my current bedtime reading is Saturday by Ian McEwan. He has characters from different backgrounds interacting, and such is his skill, you have no doubt who is speaking, without all veez bleedin' drawped haitches n everyfink.

Comment

I read Irvine Welsh. It made sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                        As I Tweeted - my current bedtime reading is Saturday by Ian McEwan. He has characters from different backgrounds interacting, and such is his skill, you have no doubt who is speaking, without all veez bleedin' drawped haitches n everyfink.
                                        Whenever anyone mentions this book I tend to send them towards this review from a few years back. [ALERT: contains spoilers]
                                        Last edited by imp; 18-09-2020, 15:43. Reason: spoilers

Comment

Ha, I'm sure it's as flawed as any of his work (I had real problems with A Child in Time), but he can write dialogue.

Comment

Excellent review imp.

Comment

I fink we’d love to read ‘ow imp might knock 11 bells out of that Bobby Galbraif

Comment

The new one is 927 pages long so we would also understand if he chose not to.

Comment

Woz Sir Edmund ‘illary and that Tenzing
                                                  bloke dis’eartened wen someone told’em Everest was tall?

Ursula Leguin on Rowling:

https://twitter.com/ldrinkh20/status/1307519192908918784?s=21

Comment

Working...
                                                  X