No announcement yet.

Classic books I've somehow missed. Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read Cohen's Quixote translation (for fun!) at Uni and loved it. I also love Parrot's Svejk tho, not knowing what I'm missing I guess.

Comment

I enjoyed part 1 much more than part 2 (perhaps unsurprisingly, given Cervantes wrote part 2 in response to an imitator ripping him off and trying to make money with a 'sequel' of part 1), but yes Don Quixote is brilliant. I read the same Rutherford translation imp has, I think, but there has since been one published by Edith Grossman which got rave reviews at the time.

Comment

Oh and SB if you've managed to not read anything from nineteenth-century British authors you've got a hell of a treat in store when you get to Wilkie Collins. I'm not fully up to speed with a lot of the other myself really, but Wilkie's superb.

Comment

Of Hardy’s, Tess of the D’Urbervilles was the best I reckon. Almost made me cry.

Comment

Have just started Larry McMurtry Last Picture Show. Finding it very engaging so far. Wasnt previously aware it extended for a further four novels to 2010. On that basis invites comparison with Updike Rabbit chronology although seems more breezy and less meditative.

Comment

From the other thread: should I read Buddenbrooks sometime?

Comment

Definitely. It's essentially a 19th century three generation family saga. Long certainly, but never boring.

Comment

OK then. Next question - translator recommendations (or warnings)?
                  Though at my current rate of book reading we might be on the next global pandemic before I'd actually get started on it.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                    Though at my current rate of book reading we might be on the next global pandemic before I'd actually get started on it.
                    We'll be on this one for years yet.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                      OK then. Next question - translator recommendations (or warnings)?
                      Jeez, darned if I can remember! It was almost certainly the current Penguin edition from sometime in the mid-seventies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

We'll be on this one for years yet.
                        True.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

I'd have trouble finding any equivalence between Jonathan Livingston Seagull and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle. I'd agree the latter is tedious but at least erudite. The former was cod-philosophy for fourteen year-olds.
                          ZatAoMM is one of the only books like that I really like. I’ve read it twice. I also like the sequel.

I read Jonathan Livingston seagull. I thought it was cool to imagine life as a bird, but don’t recall anything else about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                            ZatAoMM is one of the only books like that I really like. I’ve read it twice. I also like the sequel.
                            I read Lila too, though it left no mark. Pirsig is a genuinely tragic character I think. Academically brilliant but a diagnosed schizophrenic. Underwent electro-shock therapy, later divorced by his wife then, after the success of ZatAoMM, his son was murdered in a mugging.
                            Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 20-08-2020, 22:29.

Comment

Yes. I kinda wish he’d been more public and done talks that might now be on YouTube or something. Like Alan Watts.

Comment

Working...
                              X