Kobo care and share

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kobo care and share

I suspect I'm in a minority here as having gone for the Clara over Amazon's Paperwhite but I have to say I'm pleased with it a couple of months in.

The main selling points to me were first the way the backlight automatically goes more amber and less blue as it gets later in the evening, as I tend to read before bed rather than in the day.

The other was library ebooks. If you've not come across the idea before (and I'd never really thought about it) you can log in to your local library and borrow an ebook for a few weeks. They have digital licensing on them so that once person gets them at a time (you can 'hold' and 'renew' just like with real books too). Kobo is compatible with Overdrive (in fact it's Kobo's system) that a lot of libraries use for this.

Unfortunately it turned out that our local library doesn't. They use rbdigital and while I could get that to work on my phone or PC I couldn't get it to load on the Kobo. However, the neighbouring county uses Overdrive so I've now got a new library card for them and it works a treat - have got through a couple of Charles Cumming's Thomas Kell series and several books I've read to the children, all for free.

​​​​
    Last edited by Kevin S; 03-08-2020, 13:04.

I love my Kobo Mini. It's the perfect size for me. It's getting on a bit now but noone makes ereaders that size.

Comment

We discovered our local library's digital service during lockdown, as I'm guessing many other did. Reading digitally is not for me but it works well for my son and, given that he reads voraciously, the access to the range of free books he can now read is a total godsend. As Kevin says, you can 'hold' and 'renew' and it seems to work a dream. He uses an iPad and it seems to work well for him. I've also heard comics fans saying reading comics on an iPad is also a good experience.

Comment

I have an old Kindle, had never heard of Kobo, sounds interesting. It uses .epub, I take it?

I check out library books to my Kindle all the time though, so that doesn't seem to be an advantage that this would have over a Kindle. Perhaps it's up to each library on what kind of versions they offer.

Comment

Working...
        X