Hay Festival of Literature and the Arts 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hay Festival of Literature and the Arts 2020

is online this year, and free. Starts tomorrow, by which I mean Friday, which is already today for most of you. You can watch live and join in the question-asking, or catch up through the video recording for 24 hours afterwards. Full programme here. You're welcome.

Thanks Sam, that looks great. I've already signed up for an event tomorrow (Saturday) and would have signed up for two, except I know I will be out when one of them is on

Comment

Gracia's Sam. I will take a break from Fortunata y Jacinta for a bit of this

Comment

I've gone a bit crazy and signed up for about ten things, including Ilhan Omar, Elif Shafak, David Mitchell (the novelist one), William Dalrymple, Devi Sridhar, Simon Schama and Michael Wood. And I was trying to reduce my screen time.

Comment

Yeah, I did the same thing when I first found out (via the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading forums), ad hoc. My memory of it is a total blank until I came to, dazed and drooling, and noticed that two hours had passed and looked at my inbox to find that I had eleven confirmation emails for talks I'd signed up to.

Don't forget you can view them up to 24 hours later, by the way, so being out isn't necessarily an obstacle. I plan to watch Maggie O'Farrell (whose novel Hamnet I am literally about to start reading when I switch my computer off in a minute) that way, because I'm not getting up at 8am or whatever time it's on.

Comment

Thanks for the alert, Sam, I've passed it on to Mrs Gauss, who hadn't known and will be v keen to catch some of it.

Comment

There's also a Hay Festival podcast with some highlights from past festivals and their international editions, which I'm really enjoying. Chimamando Ngozi Adichie giving the Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez talk in Cartagena de Indias (in English, don't worry!) was fascinating, especially having read and loved Half of a Yellow Sun last year.

Comment

Thanks Sam. Is this still on or have I missed the boat?

Dunc - Fortunata y Jacinta is one of my favourite ever novels. An exquisite lockdown choice. I envy you.

Comment

Yes, it goes on for about ten days Jon and only started on Saturday so there's loads more to see. I'm listening to Tim Harford on "The next fifty things that made the modern economy" in about 55 minutes

Comment

Excellent, thanks ad hoc. I live fairly near Hay and always think about going but tickets sell out super quick.

Comment

I’m going to big up my mate Patrice Lawrence’s contributions, I think she’s on a panel or two, but there’s also this short film (her daughter does the speaking ). https://youtu.be/Rb427N9BWLM

Comment

Wow. Thanks, MsD. I'm not sure 'enjoyed' would be the right word for my feelings after watching that, but it's powerful stuff.

Comment

It’s good, isn’t it? It made me cry.

Comment

Yeah. I actually stuck it on to see what it was like for a few minutes with the plan of watching it whole today (I started watching at about 3:50am), and ended up watching all of it. I liked the quite slow reveal of the fact it was set not today but a generation or two into the future (well it was slow to me. At first I thought 'Oh, her grandma's a cool old lady,' and never having lived in a household where non-underwear items would get worn once before being washed (unless they were my brother's football kit) I didn't find the part where she talks about that as an odd practice jarring). And having barely used shampoo this century, and not for lack of hair, I chuckled a bit at that.

Comment

I didn’t know the plot, but knowing the family, could work out that this was Josephine “playing” her own daughter. Patrice is celebrated for her Young Adult fiction, which I thoroughly enjoy. We used to go clubbing and cane it together. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X