Books on the history of Ireland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books on the history of Ireland?

In short, I’ve become increasingly conscious of my lack of knowledge on Irish history. This was cast into acute relief when I listened to this week’s Second Captains podcast in which Garcia (ex of this parish) interviewed historian Brian Hanley following the government’s announcement about the RIC commemoration. I realise there is just so little I know; as a child in 70s England our perspective on Ireland (Republic and North) was so skewed, and it was barely covered in school history. I can only imagine the way this would have been handled mind, considering our curriculum’s coverage of the crusades.

So anyway I would love to read a good history of Ireland (or more than one, covering different eras?) and feel pretty confident that many on OTF are eminently qualified to help me with recommendations.

Thank you, and sorry if we’ve done this before.

THE COURSE OF IRISH HISTORY was first published in 1967 and is regularly updated, it's very comprehensive but can be quite academic.

Tim Pat Coogan IRELAND, covers the 20th Century, it has a Republican bias, but covers modern Ireland well.

RTE produced a series for the millennium called 7 ages, which covers Ireland from the war of independence to the turn of the century. It's available on DVD.

If I think of any more I'll get back to you.

Comment

NI before,during and after(?)

Ulster Crisis, ATQ (Tony) Stewart

Orange State, Michael Farrell

Backstop Land, Glenn Patterson

(and agree with el guapo's first 2 above)

ps as I may have mentioned, the hundreds of books and thousands of articles etc. on the conflict are disproportionate to its significance...

Comment

Thank you both.

Comment

I think the last one I read was Neil Hegarty's book to accompany the TV series (Story of Ireland?). For a beginner/outsider it was a very readable overview, though Irish people who have read more than one book might demur.

The British perspective is more or less "there's a uniform Ireland outside Ulster", and the role of the Anglo-Irish and their varying allegiances through history is dimly understood, if at all.

Comment

(some questions and answers now out of date)

Comment

Working...
            X