Grey Horse Inn: January 20-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grey Horse Inn: January 20-24

Thanks to a cultural exchange programme with a regular user of this message board (or maybe it was a flippant social media exchange before he got banned by twitter), I'll be sitting in this pub for a week later this month, nominally as the 'writer-in-residence'. The idea is that people come in, have a pint, tell me a story (or their story, or someone else's story), and then I attempt to turn it into a minor work of literature. Or something - I'm not completely sure, as we're on new ground here. There may be spontaneous readings and an exhibition to round off the week. Or there may be not.

Anyway, if you're in Manchester that week, pop by, order an ale, sit down and spin me a yarn - real or imagined.

That sounds brilliant.

Comment

I'm there. I popped into the pub for the first time just before Christmas and loved it so I'm definitely up for this. It'll be one evening after work if that's OK.

Comment

This sounds like a mint idea.

Why did he get banned then? Or is that a touchy question?

Comment

Think he called someone a cunt. And Twitter decided that this was worthy of a lifetime ban

Comment

Good job I gave it up yonks ago then, because that's all I ever used it for. I can imagine he was quite correct in his assessment though.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
              I'm there. I popped into the pub for the first time just before Christmas and loved it so I'm definitely up for this. It'll be one evening after work if that's OK.
              Absolutely - will look forward to it.

Comment

I'm making a flying visit to Manchester on the 20th to see Italian glam punk giants (and Francesco Totti enthusiasts) Giuda. I'll try to drop by the pub in the afternoon if you'll be up and, er, sitting by then.

Comment

How wonderful!

Comment

There's also a beer festival on at the old Central Station if you're interested

Comment

This is ace

I presume that you are only going to speak and write auf Deutsch?

Comment

Only if the locals turn hostile.

Comment

This is an excellent idea. And I wondered why I hadn't seen Mr Monologue around on Twitter lately. The number of people who've been banned from Twitter for using the word cunt seems, on the face of it, to vastly outstrip the number who've been banned for being massive racists. Nice to know they've got their priorities in order.

Comment

I wish I could be there. You should document this and make a short film about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                              This is an excellent idea. And I wondered why I hadn't seen Mr Monologue around on Twitter lately. The number of people who've been banned from Twitter for using the word cunt seems, on the face of it, to vastly outstrip the number who've been banned for being massive racists. Nice to know they've got their priorities in order.
                              I know this is a true story.

Because I am that soldier

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                Good job I gave it up yonks ago then, because that's all I ever used it for. I can imagine he was quite correct in his assessment though.
                                I've found that usually when someone uses Twitter to call someone else a cunt it's more than fully justified.

Comment

Shame it didn't extend to Saturday.

I'd've been there, and dodged the remnants of the @DAFTS on their way to Chester

Comment

That sounds great, imp. Check out this oral history effort that's been running in the US for awhile (maybe it came through DC when you were living there) since it seems to parallel what you'll be doing:
                                    https://storycorps.org/

And they made a very 1970s cartoon style video that features some animated versions of the stories, which aired on PBS. The introduction captures the spirit of what they're doing:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGCD...ature=emb_logo

Comment

Thanks for the links, dm. Hadn't heard of storycorps, but I've always had an idea like this in the back of my mind since hearing a segment on NPR years and years ago about a bloke sitting with a typewriter on the steps of the Guggenheim in NY, who for a fee (possibly $50) would listen to your sparse biographical details and then quickly type up a beautifully expressed version of your life. So for years I thought about just setting up a table in the park with a notice saying, "Tell me your story", but never had the courage and/or energy.

This came about when EIM moaned on twitter that he'd only joined LinkedIn to find a customer who'd left his credit card in the pub and now he was getting bombarded with useless emails from them. As I'd linked to him when he joined LinkedIn (as you do), I said I'd been wondering why he hadn't yet offered me a job in his pub, which lead to a conversation about what kind of job I could possibly be qualified to do there...

Very much looking forward to it, there's been a really positive reaction to it so far. Plus, they have mild on draught, and crisps and pies.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                        Thanks for the links, dm. Hadn't heard of storycorps, but I've always had an idea like this in the back of my mind since hearing a segment on NPR years and years ago about a bloke sitting with a typewriter on the steps of the Guggenheim in NY, who for a fee (possibly $50) would listen to your sparse biographical details and then quickly type up a beautifully expressed version of your life. So for years I thought about just setting up a table in the park with a notice saying, "Tell me your story", but never had the courage and/or energy.

This came about when EIM moaned on twitter that he'd only joined LinkedIn to find a customer who'd left his credit card in the pub and now he was getting bombarded with useless emails from them. As I'd linked to him when he joined LinkedIn (as you do), I said I'd been wondering why he hadn't yet offered me a job in his pub, which lead to a conversation about what kind of job I could possibly be qualified to do there...

Very much looking forward to it, there's been a really positive reaction to it so far. Plus, they have mild on draught, and crisps and pies.
                                        And a very nicely kept pint of Guinness, I found out on the Friday before Christmas.

Comment

I'm very excited by this. The confusion among some of the regulars is hilarious. "A FOOKIN WRITER? WHAT FOOKIN FOR?"

There's a book in here for sure. Maybe a whole series. It's the weirdest place I've ever worked. A tiny village pub full of characters slap bang in the middle of the city centre.

And there is mild, crisps and pies. Come in on a Friday dinner time for pie club. A 3.5lb pork pie and various condiments, free slice when you buy a pint.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                            I'm very excited by this. The confusion among some of the regulars is hilarious. "A FOOKIN WRITER? WHAT FOOKIN FOR?"
                                            It's a pertinent question - I ask myself the same thing every morning.

I was just out at my favourite record shop in Frankfurt washing some vinyl. I soon got the hang of the machines, and the bloke in the shop said, "You should work here." I left it half an hour and then tentatively asked, "So, are you really looking for staff?" Er, no, not right now.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                              I was just out at my favourite record shop in Frankfurt washing some vinyl. I soon got the hang of the machines...
                                              This is a completely new one on me.

What were you washing? A Nick Kamen album would seem appropriate.

Comment

It is a lovely pub, the Grey Horse. I think it could make a name for itself on the Manchester scene by being the only pub in the city centre to be proudly supporting Liverpool's title bid. Take a big "In Klopp We Trust" banner with you and hang it outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                                  Take a big "In Klopp We Trust" banner with you and hang it outside.
                                                  That would obscure the giant mural of EIM looking upwards saying, "How am I doing, Boss?" and Annie Walker and Alec Gilroy replying from their cloud, "You're doing a grand job, son...a grand job."

Comment

Working...
                                                  X