Grey Horse Inn: January 20-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
    Hold on, we tell you loads of stories on here, why aren't you writer-in-residence on here?
    You're not paying me 100 quid an hour like the Grey Horse Inn (@EIM - this is what we agreed, right? Obviously that's a friend's rate - normally when I do my writer-in-residence gigs at northern hostelries I charge three times as much).

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
      YEAH. My pants-shitting-in-John-Lewis missive deserves a wider audience.
      I've pitched it as an idea for next year's Christmas advert but the chances are 50/50 at best.

Comment

I'll be making my visit to the pub after work tomorrow night.

Comment

Good luck with your week Imp. Hopefully you'll get a lot out of this, it's a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post

You're not paying me 100 quid an hour like the Grey Horse Inn (@EIM - this is what we agreed, right? Obviously that's a friend's rate - normally when I do my writer-in-residence gigs at northern hostelries I charge three times as much).
            I'll take you to the Manchester Beer Festival and Manchester United v Burnley on Wednesday. Final offer.

Comment

Sounds like a deal. Btw, George is doing all the work down here - again.

Comment

It's about fucking time

Comment

Great to meet and chat with imp at the GHI this afternoon, although I probably left a net story deficit overall.

Comment

So is imp twatted yet then, or what?

Comment

Not yet. Quiet day, though, so it was a blessing to have Benjm come by and chat for a couple of hours. Just had a whole CAMRA delegation - here for the beer festival later in the week - coming in for a statutory half pint each. One bloke talked about how his parents had a house on Jura opposite Orwell's for 25 years (after Orwell's death), but no great yarns, as such. They all have backpacks and they all look like... real ale drinkers. Clothes are not as important as beer. Then they moved on to the next half pint. Bloke sitting next to me now on his own and drinking a diet coke, staring into space at 20 past ten on a Monday night. Time for an early night.
                      Last edited by imp; 20-01-2020, 22:58.

Comment

Not yet. Quiet day, though, so it was a blessing to have Benjm come by and chat for a couple of hours. Just had a whole CAMRA delegation - here for the beer festival later in the week - coming in for a statutory half pint each. One bloke talked about how his parents had a house on Jura opposite Orwell's for 25 years (after Orwell's death), but no great yarns, as such. They all have backpacks and they all look like... real ale drinkers. Clothes are not as important as beer. Then they moved on to the next half pint. Bloke sitting next to me now on his own and drinking a litre coke, staring into space at 20 past ten on a Monday night. Time for an early night.
                        Ah. You've met Diet Pepsi Man.

And Howard, I understand. What a guy...

Comment

Can I just point out that I was wearing a strong coat for my GHI visit.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                            Can I just point out that I was wearing a strong coat for my GHI visit.
                            I'm sorry I missed you. Still open if you fancy a late one...

Comment

Great to meet EIM and imp last night. Judging by the number of stories pinned to the board, the venture has been a well-received success so far.

Comment

Thanks for coming by, Giggler, it was great to meet you too. Very good day for stories yesterday too - the punters were in a particularly chatty mood. Your story, 'The Healing Powers of Bury FC' is up on the board today.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post

I'll take you to the Manchester Beer Festival and Manchester United v Burnley on Wednesday. Final offer.
                                  How did that go in the end?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

How did that go in the end?

Given that he was a journalist at a big football news story, rather well I'd assume.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                      Given that he was a journalist at a big football news story, rather well I'd assume.
                                      Indeed, there was plenty going on. I loved every minute. Preceded by some exemplary stouts and porters at the Beer Festival.

By the way, no need for that coffee machine - EIM makes an excellent brew. Mind you, now he's 'paid' me I could fuck off home. But I've just had some good stories from the ex-drummer of The Suzukis, these days a student at BIMM.
                                      Last edited by imp; 23-01-2020, 16:45.

Comment

imp is posting the stories (which are ace) on Twitter.

Click through, open the image in a new tab, and you should be able to zoom in to read them.

https://twitter.com/PlenderleithIan/status/1220319086548344832

Comment

Impressed myself earlier by managing to read EIM's one (bottom right) on my phone with nothing beyond my phone's standard zoom level. I ought to look after my eyesight by not doing that sort of thing too frequently though, so thanks for the reminder/link to open them on the computer and see them all much bigger for the rest.

Comment

What a great initiative- every pub should have one. And imp/EIM hope you’re documenting it all, would be great to publish and I’m sure someone at the Arts council or ALCS could give you cash for next year

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                              And imp/EIM hope you’re documenting it all
                                              Oh, now you suggest this...

Comment

They've been eating them, apparently. Manchester is a strange place.

Comment

You're not paying me 100 quid an hour like the Grey Horse Inn
                                                  Meh, you would disbelieve half the stuff that has happened to me over the last two years as fantastical over-the-top trashy soap fare.

Comment

Believable or not is irrelevant - they're all stories. Just concluded the week with a final 'talking shite' session, ducked out before last orders with the pub buzzing*. Very happy to have been there this week. To what end? Who gives a Belarussian beaver's bollock.

*Just to clarify, it wasn't buzzing because they had a top writer in all week, but because it was Friday night and everyone was drinking heavily. Except EIM - fucking pussy was on Heineken Zero.
                                                    Last edited by imp; 25-01-2020, 00:10. Reason: edited because I felt the need to expand upon a point

Comment

Working...
                                                    X