Margaret Atwood - The Testaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Margaret Atwood - The Testaments

The sequel to the Handmaid's Tale, one of the best books I've ever read. I've bought a copy but not started reading it yet. Decided to start a thread. Feel free to post spoilers. I probably will.

Atwood's long-time partner Graeme Gibson has died at 85 while on promotional tour with her.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...bson-1.5288049

Comment

Ah shit, that's dreadful

Comment

I'm a few pages in. She's really not pulling punches.

Comment

First time I've ever been reading a book at the same time it's announced as a Booker prize winner. (OK, co-winner)

Comment

Still slogging through this. Spotted one of the "twists" well in advance.

My overall feeling is this book didn't need to be written. It certainly feels like a cash in. There's none of the stinging poisonous asides like in Stone Mattress.

Comment

Well I took advantage of being crook and powered through this. The last third was suspenseful and I wanted to see who survived. There was a happy ending for some characters but not everyone who deserved one got one. Felt a bit sad over one of them. There's a little epilogue trying to wrap the stories up but that was a bit off the mark. Atwood's notes at the end were a better epilogue.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                Still slogging through this. Spotted one of the "twists" well in advance.

My overall feeling is this book didn't need to be written. It certainly feels like a cash in. There's none of the stinging poisonous asides like in Stone Mattress.
                Sums up my view too. A contrived effort but still a decent enough read, if not one of Atwood’s best.

Comment

Working...
                X