Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books on Reggae and Ska

These are both excellent:

Bass Culture - Lloyd Bradley. Definitive history starting with the early sound systems of the 1940s, and mento. Beautifully written.

Wailing Blues - John Masouri. Ostensibly a biography of Aston 'Family Man' Barrett but is very thorough on the whole of the rise of roots reggae from 1968 onwards, emerging from rocksteady. I particularly enjoyed that chapters on Lee 'Scratch' Perry. The writing is sometimes stodgy and less beautiful than Bradley's but the rich details make up for some awkwardness of style.

These are good:

Don Drummond - Heather Augustyn. Excellent research into a tortured genius. Especially good for the space it gives to his victim Anita Mahfood, whose single Woman a Come is a very moving record in context. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM1osTtzAsA

Ska'd For Life - Horace Panter. The most literary member of The Specials, so a useful inside source for the story. Frank enough but not a hatchet job on other band members like Peter Hook's New Order book

Black By Design - Pauline Black. Awesome on her childhood and teenage years - vivid accounts of being adopted by a racist family and sexually abused by a trusted neighbour. The musical segments can't compete with that but she has interesting insights into Ian Dury and Jerry Dammers plus her own band members.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 30-08-2019, 19:06.

People Funny Boy: The Genius of Lee 'Scratch' Perry by David Katz: well-written and perceptive. Although it highlights Perry's genius, it's not blind to his faults, especially with money and women.

Comment

Heather Augustyn spoke in one of my classes a couple times about her ska oral history books. I haven't read them but I'm less interested in Ska.

https://music.avclub.com/ska-an-oral...tyn-1798226467

I purchased a dancehall book in the early 80s that was about dancehall at that time (edited by a Finnish guy) but I can't seem to find that book when searching. I think it has been reprinted a few times. It was a really interesting read about dancehall DJs and singers in the early 80s.

Comment

The Rough Guide To Reggae (I'm serious)
        Dub by Michael Veal
        Solid Foundation by David Katz

more as I think of them...

Comment

Working...
        X